Hello! Bread is the one word that can be used to summarise food because it is the symbol of everything food. When there is bread in my house, there is this joy that envelopes me because I know that even if I do not make a meal, there is something substantial to nibble on. Bread to the rescue! Making your own bread at home is one of the best things you can do in your kitchen because:
- It is far easier than you think (plus it’s a lot of fun). Fear not!
- It is healthier. Commercially made bread has tons of ingredients plus preservatives which are not good for you. How can a single loaf have 20+ ingredients???!!!
- It is the most delicious bread. Homemade bread beats store-bought hands down in taste.
- It is easy to customise. You could add fruits, nuts or whatever to your bread. You could even use whole wheat flour instead of white flour and honey instead of sugar. You can add anything according to your taste and preferences.
- It is natural perfume for your home. No jokes. The aroma that fills your home while making homemade bread will make you thank heavens for homemade bread.
These are five oh-so-amazing homemade bread recipes that you have to make!
1. Milk Bread
This is the very first bread recipe I shared on this blog. It is fool-proof and if I got a coconut each time someone told me they made it successfully, I would have had a coconut warehouse by now. It is so easy to make, milky, soft on the inside and glossy on the outside. It is the perfect place to start if you are new to bread-making. Get the recipe HERE.
You can’t go wrong with this chocolate bread. You just can’t! What could be better than chocolate spread rolled up in the perfect dough and baked to perfection??? I have taken this bread to potlucks before and everyone was in awe. They kept asking questions like, “Did you really make this from scratch?” Recipe HERE.
Known in Cameroon as Kumba Bread and in Nigeria as Agege Bread, this bread is to die for. It is what Olajumoke sold before she became famous. Ahh! The homemade version is farrrr bbetter than the roadside ones. Click HERE for recipe.
4. Banana Bread
Okay this is more like a cake than a bread. But oh boy, this bread has been giving life to my overripe bananas since 1900. I love making some ahead of time for breakfast the next day. It disappears quickly! Recipe HERE.
This Jewish eggy bread is pure perfection! Just looking at the braids gives me life. See my detailed recipe with pictures showing how to get the perfect braids on Bella Naija HERE.
And there’s a bonus!
6. Dinner Rolls
What could be better than homemade dinner rolls at your dinner table? See how to make the perfectly delicious rolls HERE.
And so my friends, enjoy your bread-making adventure!
“Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:35