Pasta in Tomato Sauce
Published Oct 20, 2020
Updated Oct 30, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by Barilla but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Pasta in Tomato Sauce is garlicky, saucy, nutty, meatless but loaded with protein and nutrients. It is a complete one-pot meal that is ready in 30 minutes!
Easy dinner recipes are life-savers! I love that after a long hard day, I can get into the kitchen and cook something that is utterly delicious in no time!
A HEALTHIER PASTA ALTERNATIVE
Barilla Chickpea Pasta has many health benefits and is a great component of a healthy diet. Add some vibrant vegetables, season sufficiently and you have a nutrient-packed meal.
Purchase Barilla Chickpea Pasta either online or in-store. Also check out Barilla Red Lentil Pasta! To try Barilla Chickpea Pasta for yourself, get it from Target here.
Today I am sharing with you a really easy recipe for Pasta in Tomato Sauce. I love this recipe because the meal is loaded with nutrients and it doesn’t take much time.
INGREDIENTS FOR PASTA IN TOMATO SAUCE
1. Barilla Chickpea Pasta. This healthier alternative to regular pasta is made with just one ingredient: chickpeas. It is a good source of plant-based protein and an excellent source of fiber. Also, it is certified non-GMO and doesn’t contain any sodium or cholesterol.
2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. For sautéing.
3. Mushrooms. Mushrooms add meatiness and a rich umami flavor to this pasta in tomato sauce. Sautéing the mushrooms at the beginning of cooking creates a great flavor base.
4. Onions. For flavor.
5. Minced Garlic. For Flavor.
6. Barilla Tomato Basil Sauce. This tomato-based sauce pairs well with the pasta.
7. Pasta Water. Reserve some pasta water after cooking the pasta then add the pasta water to the tomato sauce.
8. Salt. For flavor.
9. Black pepper. For flavor.
10. Spinach. For nutrients and color.
HOW TO MAKE PASTA IN TOMATO SAUCE
1. Cook pasta according to the package’s instructions then drain and reserve pasta water.
2. Sauté mushrooms with garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Remove mushrooms from the pot then sauté onions and garlic.
4. Add tomato sauce, pasta water, salt and pepper to pot then bring to a simmer.
5. Add pasta to pot and toss to combine.
6. Add spinach to pot and toss then add back mushrooms to pot.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Pasta in Tomato Sauce
- 8 oz Barilla Chickpea Pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced I used organic baby bella mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup Barilla Tomato Basil Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 cups spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package's instructions. Drain pasta and reserve 1 and a half cups of pasta water.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on high heat then add the mushrooms to the pot in a single layer. Sprinkle on 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper. Add 1 teaspoon of the garlic then stir to combine. Let the mushrooms cook until they shrink and are darker in color. Remove mushrooms from the pot.
- Pour the remaining oil into the same pot. Let it heat up for 3 minutes then add onions and saute until translucent. Add the minced garlic let it cook while stirring from time to time for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, 1 cup of the reserved pasta water, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper. Also add the red pepper flakes if using. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add pasta to pot and toss well to combine. Add the spinach and toss well until spinach shrinks. Taste the pasta and adjust seasoning as needed. Also, if the pasta is too dry, add in more of the the reserved pasta water.
- Add mushrooms to the pot and serve warm.