How to make mayonnaise at home! This homemade mayonnaise recipe is so easy, tastes insanely good and much healthier than storebought. Use it on sandwiches, salads, for dips and more!
Place all ingredients in a bowl except the oil. Use a hand mixer or a whisk to whisk them together. Slowly drizzle in the oil while you continuously whisk. As you add the oil, the mayonnaise will thicken. Be sure to rest your hand for a few seconds in between if you are using your hand and you get tired (which is normal). Then continue whisking until all the oil is poured in. Your mayonnaise should be thick, luscious and so tasty!
Use on salads, in sandwiches and in anything you will use mayonnaise. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
1. I used peanut oil in this recipe but you could use any light oil you have at home. Canola soy and avocado oil are great options. However, avoid using any oil that has a strong flavor. Extra virgin olive oil won't be great in this recipe because its flavor is overwhelming. If you really want to use olive oil, you could use light olive oil or use half extra virgin olive oil and half another light oil.
2. Yellow mustard in addition to egg yolks gives the mayonnaise a slightly yellow hue and it also gives it a boost in taste. Dijon mustard is good too - it won't really add color but it will add flavor to the mayonnaise. Note that I have made homemade mayonnaise several times without mustard so this is not a compulsory ingredient.
3. The sugar is totally optional here and you can't even taste it. But I noticed this made a HUGE difference in flavor compared to when I used just salt. So definitely add the teaspoon of sugar for some epic homemade mayonnaise!
4. If you use your hand to whisk and your mayonnaise doesn't thicken, place the mixture in a blender and blend to help it thicken. P.S you can also make homemade mayonnaise in a blender following this same recipe.
5. The nutritional information here is per tablespoon.