This Jamaican Jerk Chicken is tender, flavorful, spicy with crusty skin. It is completely made in the oven and no marinating time is required.
Line a baking sheet with heavy duty foil then rub the foil with 1 teaspoon of oil (I used corn oil). Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius)
Pat chicken dry with paper towel then place in a large bowl. Add the jerk seasoning, bouillon powder and thyme then mix well to ensure the seasoning gets to every part of the chicken.
Arrange chicken on a single layer on the baking sheet then place in the oven to cook for 40 minutes.
1. Jerk seasoning contains habanero pepper which is hot so avoid handling the chicken with the marinade on with your bare hands. Use kitchen gloves or thongs.
2. Although Jerk Chicken is traditionally cooked over firewood, I make mine in the oven because honestly going out to grill is not something that is feasible at all times. So with this recipe, you make your own Jerk Chicken in your kitchen at any time. But if you have a grill and the weather is convenient and you want that unbeatable smoky taste that comes from grilling, then go out and grill, my friend.
If you choose to grill your meat, be sure to let it marinate first for up to 24 hours. That way, the seasoning doesn't fall off the chicken while grilling, leaving you with tasteless chicken. But if you make your Jerk Chicken in the oven, no need to marinate it. The chicken absorbs the flavors as it bakes in the oven.
3. No need to add salt to this recipe because the chicken bouillon powder and the Jerk Seasoning are salty.
4. Baste the chicken with some more Jerk seasoning halfway through cooking if you want the chicken extra crusty and if you want it to develop the rich dark color that Jerk Chicken is known for.
4. Here is the post on how to make homemade Jamaican Jerk Seasoning.