This spicy grilled meat is the ultimate African street food! It is called soya, suya or kebab.
1. Soak bamboo skewers in water at least 30 minutes before preparation.
2. Cut meat into very thin and flat slices. If your cut of meat is not thick enough, you may cut it into chunks instead.
3. Place meat in a bowl and add in suya spice and salt. Note that you may or may not need to add salt depending on how salty your suya spice is. So be sure to taste the spice before deciding whether extra salt is needed. Mix thoroughly to ensure that the spice coats the meat all over.
4. Place 3-5 slices of meat on each bamboo skewer, placing a slice of onion after every piece of meat.
5. Brush the skewered meat generously with oil.
6. Place them on a tray lined with aluminium foil and generously greased with oil.
7. Grill in a 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes - 10 minutes on each side. Half way through the cooking, flip skewers to the other side.
1. You could omit adding the onions to the beef if you prefer.
2. If you like, you could add chunks of bell pepper to the skewers.