You guys, I can't stop making this tasty grilled skewered meat AKA suya, soya or kebab. The taste is epic and this version is made with my tasty homemade suya spice. Beef suya is the ultimate African street food, popular in countries like Nigeria, Cameroon and Ghana. Eating tons of suya is on my to-do list once I hit home. But for now, I will focus on whipping up mine in my kitchen which by the way is so easy!
I have made so much soya/suya these days that my oldest daughter exclaimed the other day, "All the time, soya! Soya! Soya!". What can I say? It is insanely delicious and slightly addictive. Plus this is summer so when I see my neighbours grilling, all I want is to grill too. So I rush home and whip up some beef soya! Oh man, I love food!
This is basically the easiest recipe ever. Cut some meat, rub some seasoning then grill the meat and enjoy! I love chilling on my weekend evenings with suya, grilled plantains (recipe coming soon!) and a glass of something something. It makes me feel like I am on top of the world when I am still that mama who is in fact still figuring out how to handle the laundry (!!!)
Anyways, I made a video to show you guys how to make this deliciousness. If you like the video, subscribe to my channel so you do not miss any of my cooking videos. Enjoy friends!
Watch how to make beef suya:
Beef Suya Recipe
- 1 pound beef - top sirlion steak ½ kg
- 4 tablespoons homemade suya spice
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice - I used canola oil
- 1 large onion cut into big slices
- Bamboo skewers
- Soak bamboo skewers in water at least 30 minutes before preparation.
- Cut meat into very thin and flat slices. If your cut of meat is not thick enough, you may cut it into chunks instead.
- Place meat in a bowl and add in suya spice and salt. Note that you may or may not need to add salt depending on how salty your suya spice is. So be sure to taste the spice before deciding whether extra salt is needed. Mix thoroughly to ensure that the spice coats the meat all over.
- Place 3-5 slices of meat on each bamboo skewer, placing a slice of onion after every piece of meat.
- Brush the skewered meat generously with oil.
- Place them on a tray lined with aluminium foil and generously greased with oil.
- Grill in a 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) oven for 20 minutes - 10 minutes on each side. Half way through the cooking, flip skewers to the other side.
I'm so glad that you are interested in making one of my recipes! If you try this, leave me a comment below or share on my Facebook page: Facebook.com/preciouscore.