This Steak Fried Rice is filled with tender bits of steak, aromatic rice, and crisp veggies. The perfect 30-minute dinner!
Forget restaurant fried rice or takeout. This Steak Fried Rice is IT. Life is hard but dinner time doesn't have to be. So add this recipe to your collection of easy dinner recipes.
Stir-fries are the bane of my existence. While working on an upcoming Beef and Vegetables stir fry recipe, I had a bit of flank steak left which I didn't want to refreeze. So I cut it up and made the most delicious steak fried rice.
And I'm here to share it with you.
Here are the ingredients you need for Steak Fried Rice.
- Steak: I used flank steak for this recipe but you can use any beef you have on hand.
- Olive Oil: For searing the beef and sautéing the aromatics.
- Eggs: For extra protein.
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables: Using frozen mixed vegetables is so easy and I always have some in the freezer. However, you could also add whatever leftover vegetables you have in the fridge to your Steak Fried Rice.
- Green Onions AKA Scallions: For flavor and color.
- Garlic and Ginger: I mince fresh garlic and ginger using a Microplane zester/grater. But you could totally use garlic or ginger paste, or store-bought minced garlic. Remember, we are working on keeping this SIMPLE.
- Cooked Rice: I try to always keep some cooked rice in my fridge. Having already cooked rice is great because you can just transform it into fried rice or enjoy with curries, veggies, etc. For this recipe, I used Jasmine Rice. Any rice you have on hand would work. You could also cook some rice and spread on a tray to dry just to make this recipe.
- Soy Sauce: Use low sodium soy sauce if you worry about sodium. I used regular.
- Sesame Oil: Finishing Steak Fried Rice with sesame oil lends amazing flavor to the fried rice!
See the recipe card below for quantities of ingredients.
How To Make Steak Fried Rice
Here is how to make delicious Fried Rice With Steak.
- Season and sear beef in a little oil. Remove from pan.
- Scramble eggs and remove from pan.
- Sauté ginger, garlic, and green onions.
- Add rice and soy sauce and fry until rice is completely heated through.
- Add back beef and eggs and toss to combine.
- Add sesame oil and toss to combine,
Variations For Fried Rice With Steak
- Spicy - add red pepper flakes when sautéing the ginger and garlic to make it spicy.
- Different Protein - swap the beef for chicken, pork or even fish as it suits your preference.
- Different Veggies - add different vegetables you have in the fridge to the fried rice. This is a great way to clean up the fridge!
I love using my large wok for stir fries including this Steak Fried Rice because it has a large surface for stir frying. If you don't have a wok, use any large bottom skillet or pot you have on hand.
Steak Fried Rice
- 1 pound flank steak cut against the grain into thin slices
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper or ground white pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables carrots, peas, green beans and sweet corn
- 3 green onions diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups cooked rice I used Jasmine rice
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Season beef. Place the beef, salt and white or black pepper into a medium mixing bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Sear beef. Place one tablespoon of the olive oil into a wok. Let it heat up on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the beef in a single layer. Let cook on one side for 2-3 minutes until seared then flip the beef to the other side and let it cook while stirring the beef from time to time until cooked through. Remove the beef from the pan. Some rendered fat from the beef will be left in the pan.
- Scramble eggs. Add the beaten eggs to the wok with the rendered fat (using the fat to scramble the eggs). Let them set then stir the eggs to break them up and scramble them. Remove scrambled eggs from the wok and set aside.
- Sauté aromatics. Add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Let it heat up for 1 minute. Add the minced ginger and garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the green onions and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and soy sauce. Add the cooked rice to the pan and the soy sauce.
- Fry rice. Stir the rice in the pan on high heat, combining it with the soy sauce. Keep stirring until the rice is completely heated through.
- Add beef and eggs. Add the seared beef and scrambled eggs back to the pan. Toss everything to combine.
- Add sesame oil. Drizzle the sesame oil over the rice then toss to combine. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish and serve. Garnish with more sliced green onions and serve.