Corn Avocado Salad is the perfect summer salad which can also be eaten anytime of the year! It is loaded with sweet corn, creamy avocado and other crunchy vegetables, all tied together with a really easy lemon dressing. It is also effortlessly vegan/vegetarian. The perfect side dish!
Cook the corn. Remove husks from corn. Place a grill pan on high heat until smoking hot. Place the corn onto the pan and cook on high heat for 4 minutes. Turn the side and cook for 2 minutes, Keep turning the sides until all sides of the corn have cooked on the grill pan and some char marks have developed. It takes about 10 minutes. Place the corn on a plate and let it cool. (See Recipe Notes for alternate ways of cooking corn.)
Cut the corn kernels off the cob. Spread a clean kitchen towel on a chopping board. (The kitchen towel will help catch the corn kernels so they don't go flying around the kitchen.) Place the corn standing upright on the kitchen towel then using a sharp knife, gently cut the kernels from top to bottom. Repeat process until all the kernels have been removed.
Assemble the salad. Place the finely chopped romaine lettuce in a bowl. Add the corn, sliced avocado, diced red bell pepper, and sliced red onion.
Make the dressing. Place all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk well to combine. Pour the dressing all over the salad.
Toss the salad. Toss the salad well to combine then serve.
1. Alternately boil the corn. Place corn in a pot and add water to the same level as the corn. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 4 minutes.
2. You could also cook the corn on the grill: Place corn on a hot grill and let it cook for about 4 minutes until char marks have formed. Flip the corn to uncooked sides and let them cook. Keep flipping until all of the corn is cooked.
3. You could replace the lemon juice for the dressing with fresh lime juice.
4. You could replace the red bell pepper with tomatoes.
5. If using frozen corn, bring water to a boil and add the corn kernels. Let them cook for about three minutes then drain and use.