This Chicken Avocado Salad is on repeat in my home. It is kid-approved, fresh with juicy chunks of chicken and a well-rounded meal. I mostly serve it as a complete meal but it will make a great appetizer, side dish or party salad. So pretty on the table and most importantly, so delicious!
In a bowl, combine the chicken thighs plus all ingredients for seasoning it. Mix well to combine.
Heat a cast-iron skillet on high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat the pan or just brush the pan all around with some oil.
Add the chicken thighs and cook for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip to the other side and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Remove the chicken and place on a plate to rest.
Place corn in a pot and add water to immerse the corn. Cover and bring to a boil then let it cook for 5 minutes. Remove the corn from the pot and place on a plate to cool.
Chop the romaine lettuce and place on a large tray or in a large bowl. Add the diced red pepper, onions, and sliced hard-boiled egg.
Place the corn on a chopping board then gently cut the grains off the cob from top to bottom. Add the corn to the pan.
Cut the avocado then peel and chop. Add to the pan and squeeze a little lime juice over the avocado to prevent it from turning brown.
Dice the grilled chicken and add to the pan.
Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the salad then drizzle over the oil and lime juice. Toss everything to combine. Taste the salad to ensure seasoning is perfect. Add a little sprinkling of salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
1. If you choose to use chicken breast, cut the chicken breast across in half before seasoning and grilling. You can see how I do this in the video. This ensures that the chicken cooks through.
2. You could substitute lime for lemon in this salad. You need approximately 1-2 limes (depending on how juicy they are) for the dressing, the marinade for the chicken and for squeezing over the avocado to prevent browning.
3. You could substitute grilled chicken with rotisserie chicken in this recipe. I think about 2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken will work. I always grill my own chicken because the flavor is exceptional that way.
4. I always make this salad and serve immediately but you could make it, cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge. Don't toss it yet if you choose to keep it. Toss just before serving and taste and add salt if needed.
5. Please note that the salt in the dressing really brings out the flavors in this salad. That's why I emphasise on tasting before serving so it doesn't turn out bland. Salt makes such a huge difference!