Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
Published Aug 28, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream with only 3 ingredients! It doesn’t get any easier than this perfectly chocolatey, creamy and refreshing ice cream.
Summer is still very much alive here in Southern California. And there is nothing like ice cream on a hot day. Especially homemade ice cream!
My latest ice cream love is this Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream. This chocolate ice cream is rich in chocolate flavor, so creamy and so easy to make!
You do not need an ice cream machine for this recipe. It is way easier than the traditional method of making ice cream which starts with making a custard.
All you need to do is whip cream then add sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder and mix. Then you’ll have a perfect mixture to freeze and scoop like there’s no tomorrow.
Chocolate Ice Cream Ingredients
For no-churn Chocolate Ice Cream recipe, you need the following ingredients:
1. Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream: Heavy cream forms the creamy base for ice cream.
2. Sweetened condensed milk: Sweetened condensed milk adds sweetness and more creaminess to ice cream.
3. Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder provides a rich chocolate flavor and color to chocolate ice cream.
If you choose to add any of these alternate sources of chocolate be use sure to reduce the quantity of sweetened condensed milk so the ice cream doesn’t turn out too sweet.
How To Make Chocolate Ice Cream
1. Pour cold whipping cream in a large bowl. Beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
2. Add sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder to the bowl.
3. Whip everything to combine.
4. Pour the mixture into a loaf pan.
5. Level the top of the mixture then cover with plastic wrap making sure the plastic wrap touches the mixture.
6. Freeze for7 hours then scoop and serve.
Tips For The Best Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
1. Make sure the heavy whipping cream you use is cold, straight from the fridge.
- If the temperature around you is too warm, freeze the mixing bowl to be used in whipping the cream for a few hours before using it to whip the cream.
- Or place the bowl with the whipping cream over another bowl with ice then proceed with whipping. It is important that the cream remains cold as you whip it so it can easily thicken and form stiff peaks.
2. Once the heavy whipping cream forms stiff peaks, stop beating. If you continue beating, it will become butter. If this happens. add a little milk and whip again so it can get back to the texture of whipped cream.
3. Freeze the ice cream in a loaf pan. A loaf pan provides a large surface area for scooping the ice cream. There are also special ice cream containers you could get just for freezing ice cream but that is totally up to you.
Watch How To Make Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes You’ll Love!
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (480 ml) cold
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk (397 g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (60g)
- Pour cold heavy whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Beat using an electric beater or an egg whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder to the bowl and continue beating until fully combined and the color is uniform.
- Pour mixture into a loaf pan. Level the top using a spatula.
- Cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap making sure the plastic wrap touches the cream.
- Place in a freezer and let it freeze for 7 hours. Scoop and enjoy.
This post contains affiliate links.