MANGO UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Published Aug 02, 2017
Updated Nov 26, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
One of my favorite things to do on a Saturday is watch cooking shows. I watch a lot of cooking shows from the Great British Baking show to Martha Bakes hosted by Martha Stewart. So I was watching Martha Bakes weeks ago when I saw her make a mango upside down cake. Let’s just say that I fell in love with the concept IMMEDIATELY.
The cake batter is poured over a layer of mangoes, baked, turned upside down and served.
I hopped on the internet to find recipes for mango upside down cakes. Most recipes included ingredients I didn’t want to include in the cake like rum, bananas, buttermilk, mango syrup (from a can). I mean, I just wanted a simple moist cake topped with the beauty of fresh mangoes.
So I had to concoct my own cake batter which is so simple but incredibly moist! The ingredients include good ole’ flour, sugar, butter, vanilla, baking powder, salt, milk and eggs (see full recipe below for quantities).
The mangoes cook beneath the cake batter over a decadent sugar and butter mixture. The taste after baking is to die for! I’ll let you bake the cake and try it for yourself. This recipe is a MUST-MAKE.
I start by greasing my cake pan then coating the bottom with a sugar and butter mixture. Then I arrange freshly sliced mangoes over the sinful sugar-butter mixture.
Then I mix my batter and pour over the mango goodness.
Then I bake to golden brown perfection!
Then turn the cake upside down!
Yummy to the 1000th power! This cake is fruity, sweet, bursting with flavors from the tropics due to the abundance of fresh mangoes. Enjoy!
Mango Upside Down Cake
- 2 cups flour (250 g)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (300 g)
- 2 large mangoes sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (12 tablespoons) melted
- 1 cup whole (liquid) milk (240 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Grease a 10 inch baking pan with oil or melted butter, preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Mix one third (1/2) cup of melted butter with 1/2 cup of sugar then spread mixture to coat the bottom of the baking pan.
- Arrange mango slices over the butter and sugar coating. They should be tightly packed, leaving no space in between.
- Make the cake batter. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Add in eggs and mix well. Then add in flour, baking powder, salt and whisk together to form a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smoothen the top with a spatula.
- Bake in prepared oven for about 50 minutes until it is golden brown ontop and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Turn cake upside down and serve!