Published Jan 21, 2022
Updated May 06, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
How to make absolutely tasty Potato Frittata with creamy potatoes and well-seasoned eggs. The perfect breakfast, brunch lunch or dinner! This frittata can be made ahead too which makes it ideal for entertaining.
Knowing different ways to make eggs for breakfast is a necessary thing. I love eggs in different forms. Whether they are hardboiled, scrambled, made into scotch eggs, omelets or a quiche, eggs always make an egg-cellent breakfast or brunch.
This Potato Frittata is just the perfect potatoes and eggs breakfast. It is hearty, easy to make, can be made ahead of time and totally customizable!
This is a vegetarian recipe but feel free to add breakfast meats like bacon or sausage if you like.
Potato Frittata tastes like a fancy breakfast but it is so easy to put together. You’ll see how! It is the best frittata recipe with potatoes. Every element is well seasoned.
The potatoes in this frittata are cooked to be crispy around the edges for more flavor. When combined with the eggs and baked they are creamy and so tasty. No boring potatoes here!
Potato Frittata Ingredients
You need the following ingredients to make Potato Frittata:
1. Potatoes. Use russet potatoes or any starchy potatoes you can find.
2. Mushrooms. Mushrooms add umami flavor to potato frittata.
3. Chives. For flavor and a pop of green color. Substitute chives with green onions or leeks.
4. Cheddar cheese. Mild or sharpn cheddar cheese would work here.
5. Eggs. Use large good quality eggs.
6. Salt. For flavor.
7. Chicken bouillon powder. For flavor.
8. White or black pepper. For flavor.
9. Red pepper flakes. Add pepper flakes to your frittata if you want some heat. This ingredient is optional.
How To Make A Frittata With Potatoes
First cook the potatoes. Boil diced potatoes, strain them, season with salt then pan fry the potatoes until golden brown.
Make a mixture with eggs, salt, bouillon powder, white or black pepper, red pepper flakes (if using) and chives.
After cooking potatoes, remove them from pan. Add oil, mushrooms, salt and pepper to pan and sauté.
Add back potatoes to pan then pour on egg mixture and sprinkle on cheese. Let frittata cook on stovetop until set for 3 minutes.
Transfer frittata to oven and let it cook until set for about 7 minutes.
Watch Me Making Potato Frittata
Watch me show you step-by-step how to make Potato Frittata in the video below. If you would like to keep up with my cooking videos please subscribe to my YouTube channel and click on the notification bell.
- 1 large russet potato, peeled rinsed and diced should make 1 heaped cup when diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 baby bella mushrooms, rinsed and diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives sub with green onions or leeks
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder sub with a little more salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil Potatoes. Place the diced potatoes into a medium pot. Add one and a half cups of cool water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil on high heat. Let the potatoes boil for 5 minutes. drain the potatoes into a colander. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of salt over the potatoes and toss to combine.
- Pan Fry Potatoes. Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Let the oi heat up for 1-2 minutes then add the potatoes to the skillet in a single layer. Let the potatoes cook while stirring from time to time until they reach a golden brown color. About 5 minutes.
- Make Egg Mixture. Meanwhile crack 6 large eggs into a large bowl. Whisk to combine. To the eggs add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, the chicken bouillon powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes (if using) and about 14 teaspoon of white or black pepper. Whisk to combine then add the chopped chives and whisk to combine.
- Sauté Mushrooms. Once he potatoes are golden brown, remove them from the pan. Add the remaining one tablespoon of oil to the pan. Let it heat up for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the diced mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and about 1/8 teaspoon of white or black pepper. Mix everything to combine. Let the mushrooms saute while you stir from time to time until they shrink considerably. About 3 minutes.
- Make the Frittata Mixture. Add the potatoes back to the skillet with the mushrooms. Arrange the potatoes and mushrooms to be in a single layer. Reduce the heat to medium. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Sprinkle the cheese over the egg mixture. Let it sit on the stovetop for 3 minutes.
- Bake Frittata. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for about 7 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Serve. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
- Any other starchy potatoes would work here as well.
- You could add any vegetables or herbs you like to your frittata. Bell peppers, parsley, basil, tomatoes are all good choices. If adding vegetables like bell peppers or broccoli to your frittata, be sure to sauté them first then mix them into the egg mixture.
- Feel free to add meats like bacon, sausage or even leftover chicken to your frittata. More protein and more flavor!