Ingredients for Sweet Dinner Rolls
For sweet dinner rolls you need all-purpose flour, butter, milk, sugar, active dry yeast, salt and egg yolks. Use the leftover egg whites to make these yummy Coconut Macaroons. You also need 1 egg to beat and brush over the loaves AKA egg wash. That's what makes them so shiny.
How to Make Sweet Dinner Rolls
5. Let the dough rise again. Let the rolls sit in a warm place for about 20 minutes. After that, it must have risen some more.
6. Prepare for baking. Brush the rolls with egg wash and sprinkle on some sesame seeds if using.
7. Bake. Bake in an oven at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celius) until the rolls are golden brown.
Sweet Dinner Rolls
- 3 ½ cups of flour (437g) plus more for dusting work surface when kneading dough
- 1 sachet active dry yeast or 2 and a quarter teaspoons
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (67g)
- 1 cup whole milk (240ml)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter (76g) sub with margarine
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 egg yolks from large eggs
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds optional
- Put milk and butter together in a pot and warm on medium heat for just enough time to let the butter melt.
- Transfer the WARM mixture to a large bowl and add the yeast. Let it sit for five minutes so the yeast can activate.
- Next add in the eggs, sugar, and salt and mix together properly. Then add in the flour gradually while mixing until it forms a nice stretchy dough. Note: Your dough should not be too hard. If it is too hard, your bread will be hard. On the other hand, if your dough is too sticky add just enough flour so it can come together without sticking so much. A little bit of stickiness is okay.
- Now sprinkle flour over your working surface and knead your dough on your working surface. I love this part! Play with it for a few minutes if you like. Oil a bowl and place the dough inside.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and let it sit in a WARM place for about one hour or until the dough has doubled in size. I normally turn on my oven for a little bit then I turn it off and place the dough inside. It works great every single time. After about an hour, the dough must have doubled in size.
- Place the dough on your working surface. Punch it in order to remove air from it. Now cut the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Rub a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with butter.
- Take each piece and form a ball - pull the dough so the top is smooth and tuck the dough under. That way the top is smooth and the under is rough. Place the balls on the greased baking pan. Repeat process with the rest of the dough making sure to allow about an inch of space between each dough.
- Again, let it sit in a warm place for about 1 hour. After that, it must have doubled in size again. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit (180 Degrees Celsius)
- Brush with egg wash. Beat the egg then gently brush over the rolls. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
This recipe was first published on March 12, 2016. I have updated the recipe with new photos and more tips.