Watch how to make potato hot pot:
A one-pot meal made with potatoes, chicken and veggies. Insanely yummy!
- 20-25 medium size Irish potatoes (or Idaho)
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons ground garlic and ginger, 1 sprig of basil and 1 prig parsley 6 cloves garlic, 1 inch ginger
- 1 large carrot - chopped
- 15 green beans - chopped
- 1/3 green pepper - chopped
- 4 pounds chicken (whole or part of choice) about 2 kg
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 2 stems of green onions - chopped
- 3 small stock cubes 3.5g per cube
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
Cut chicken, rinse thoroughly then place in pot. Add half a cup of water, 2 teaspoons of the ginger, garlic and herb blend, salt and 1.4 teaspoon white pepper. Let it cook on medium heat for 20 minutes. Be sure to check it so the water doesn't dry out. Replenish water as needed. When it is done, remove chicken from stock and place on a greased oven tray. Let it broil/grill in the oven for 10 minutes.
Peel potatoes, rinse thoroughly then place in a pot with water half way the potatoes. Boil until done - abut 20 minutes. When done, place potatoes on greased oven tray and let them grill/broil in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Chop tomatoes and blend, chop onion and set aside.
Heat oil in a pot and put in onions to saute for about 3 minutes. Add in tomatoes and fry stirring all the time until the tomato starts sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Add in your spices and stir well. Add in the stock from boiled chicken to make a stew. Add in some water as needed - if you want it very soupy, add more water. Now season with salt, stock cubes (Maggi), the rest of the white pepper and mix stew well.
Add in your chopped vegetables starting with the green onions then the carrots, green beans and bell peppers. Stir well.
Add the grilled chicken and mix well.
Add potatoes and mix being careful not to break the potatoes. When everything is well mixed together, turn off the heat!
- C'est pret! Enjoy with a chilled glass of orange juice!
1. If you wish, fry our chicken and potatoes after boiling instead of grilling.
2. An alternate way of cooking this would be to boil your potatoes with tomatoes, onions, spices and seasoning. When tomatoes are almost done, throw in oil and vegetables. Avoid stirring and rather hold the pot with a pot holder and shake in order to incorporate all the ingredients.
3. You could substitute the chicken in this recipe with beef, turkey, pork or fish if you wish.
4. Add in some scotch bonnet, habanero or chili pepper for some heat if desired. If adding pepper, add to the the tomatoes when adding the other spices.
If you make this recipe, please share on Instagram and tag me: @preciouscore. I’ll love to see!
*This recipe has been updated.