AFRICAN SPINACH STEW WITH CHICKEN AND SHRIMP
Published Aug 04, 2017
Updated Sep 26, 2018
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
AFRICAN SPINACH STEW WITH CHICKEN AND SHRIMP! Excuse me while I go take a forkful! This spinach stew right here is the real deal. Once you have your ingredients prepped, you only need about 30 minutes of cooking time and this mouth watering delicacy will be before you. I love enjoying it with boiled plantains or cassava (yuca root). You could equally enjoy it with some boiled rice or even fufu!
It is simple, tasty, good for your body and ready in no time! My top tip here is to use the store-bought plain frozen spinach so your cooking time is cut in half. All you need to do is thaw the spinach and squeeze out the excess water. It’s the exact thing I did in this stewed spinach recipe which by the way is very similar to this.
Now if you are in Africa, you might not have access to spinach, talkless of the frozen version. Our ‘local green’ in Nigeria and Cameroon work well in this recipe. All you need to do is:
- Chop the vegetables.
- Boil water with a little salt then put the vegetables in the water and cover to rest for 2-5 minutes.
- Then strain, rinse with cold water.
- Lightly squeeze and proceed with cooking as described here (see full recipe below).
Okay, let’s talk about the combo of chicken and shrimp. It is simply TO DIE FOR. I use the same combo to make a killer fried rice whose recipe I will share in the days ahead. But for now, let’s revel in this spinach beauty.
To make this meal vegetarian, use mushrooms instead and I tell you it will taste just as good.
Watch how to make African spinach stew:
See printable recipe below. Enjoy friends!
African Spinach Stew with Chicken and Shrimp
- 4-5 cups chopped spinach - tightly packed -this came from 2 1 pound bags (about 1 kg) of frozen chopped spinach. I thawed the spinach, squeezed out the excess water and measured in cups.
- 5 cups chopped tomatoes -from about 6 large tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion -from half a LARGE onion or one medium onion
- 3 small seasoning cubes (Maggi) -about 4g per cube
- 1 cup canola oil or oil of choice
- 1 1/2 cup shrimps - peeled and de-veined 12 oz or 340 g
- 1/2 pound chicken breast - chopped into 1-inch slices -I used one chicken breast equal to about 1/4 kg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Season the shrimp with a pinch of salt and half of the white pepper. Mix well to ensure seasoning coats all of the shrimp.
- Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and the other half of the white pepper. Mix well to ensure the seasoning coats all of the chicken.
- Pour oil into a pot and heat on high for about 3-4 minutes then turn heat to medium. Put in shrimp and fry until they turn pink. Flip to the other side once one side is cooked. Remove once the other side is done. (Cook shrimps in total for about 4 minutes.)
- Put chicken into the oil and cook on for about 5 minutes. Flip halfway through. Remove chicken once thoroughly done.
- Pour chopped onions into the oil and saute for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add in tomatoes and cook on high heat covered for 10 minutes, opening to stir from time to time. Now leave tomatoes open to cook for another 5 minutes while you stir from time to time to prevent burning. The tomatoes are ready when they have greatly shrunk and you can see just the oil and tomatoes in the pot.
- Add in salt, Maggi and stir well. Add the spinach and mix well. Finally add in the shrimp and chicken. Mix well to combine then turn off the heat.
- Serve warm with boiled plantains, boiled rice or any favorite side. Enjoy!