Let's make bread rolls with a twist! These Banana Bread Rolls are naturally sweetened, fluffy, and the perfect bread for sandwiches, or the perfect substitute for regular dinner rolls!
I don't know about you but I'm already in the mood for fall baking. So let's make something different from classic banana bread: Banana Bread Rolls!
These bread rolls made with bananas are soft, fluffy, with natural sweetness from the bananas and the perfect way to use up overripe bananas! They remind me of hot cross buns but they are not as dense. So so fluffy!
You only need 6 simple ingredients for Banana Bread Rolls.
- Bananas - preferably use overripe bananas as they are very soft and very sweet. But regular ripe bananas will work as well. If they are not easy to mash puree them in the blender (don't add any water when pureeing!)
- Eggs - for richness
- Oil - any neutral tasting oil would work.
- Flour - I used all-purpose flour but you could use bread flour as well.
- Yeast - to help the rolls rise and for fluffiness. I used instant yeast.
- Salt - for flavor. Don't skip it except for medical reasons.
How To Make Banana Bread Rolls
- First mash the bananas using a fork or puree them in a blender until smooth.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix to form a dough.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape or roll each piece into a ball and place into a baking dish rubbed with oil or butter.
5. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about one hour until increased in size.
6. Bake until golden brown and completely cooked through.
Serving Tip: Serve Banana Bread Rolls warm slathered with butter. It also goes well with cream cheese!
Trying switching up your Banana Bread Rolls by try the following variations.
- Chocolate chips - add chocolate chips when kneading the dough to to make Banana Bread Rolls with Chocolate Chips.
- Raisins - if you love raisins, add some raisins while kneading the dough or any other dried fruit.
- Nuts - if you like nutty breads with texture, chop and add nuts like walnuts or pecans to the dough.
- Spiced - add spices like cinnamon and nutmeg for Spiced Banana Bread Rolls.
Other Easy Homemade Baked Goods
- Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Dinner Rolls
- My Favorite Hot Cross Buns
- 3 Ingredient Biscuits
Banana Bread Rolls
- 3 medium bananas makes about 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup olive oil or any other neutral-tasting oil
- 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Thoroughly grease a 9 by 13 inches baking dish with butter or oil.
- Mash the bananas into a paste using a fork or potato masher. Mash them to be as smooth as you can get them.
- To a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer or bread machine add the mashed bananas and all the other ingredients. Start with 4 cups of flour. Mix until combined. Then knead and add flour as needed until the dough is soft to the touch but not too sticky. I used 4½ cups of flour. You'll use more or less flour depending on the size of your bananas.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece to form a ball and place into the greased 9 by 13 inches baking dish.
- Let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour. I let it rise in my oven with my oven turned off. My oven is often slightly warm even when turned off. After 1 hours the rolls should have risen significantly.
- As the rolls rise preheat oven to 350° F or 180° C.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes until brown on top and cooked through. After the first 15 minutes, check the rolls, if they are browning too quickly, loosely cover them with aluminum foil.
- Serve warm slathered with butter!