This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PrizesWithPost #CerealAnytime #CollectiveBias
One of my favorite things in life is taking unconventional ingredients and making great-tasting recipes out of them. That's exactly what I did with this breakfast pizza made with a cereal crust. Whaaat? Cereal crust? Yes you read that right!
I made the crust with my favorite cereal ever, Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds from Walmart. I'm not a religious cereal eater because honestly I hardly get full from eating a bowl of cereal and milk. However, on the days when I eat cereal, it has to be Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. It is nutty, crunchy, sweet and so good!
And on days when I do not want to eat cereal the traditional way. I make something creative out of it.
Who says cereal is only meant for bowls and milk in the morning? I consider cereal to be one of the most versatile products in the universe. It could be used in salads, parfaits or even made into a delicious breakfast pizza with a cereal crust. And did I mention that this pizza is healthy too? Total win!
I love fruit pizzas but after searching the web for fruit pizza recipes, I noticed that most of them were sinful. They included pizza crusts made with decadent cookie dough. Some were topped with overly sweetened frosting - not the kind of dream I had for a fruity pizza.
So I sought out ways to enjoy a fruit pizza without all the sins. My first trial was to make this pizza with an oatmeal crust and my family loved it! Then I resorted to making the crust with cereal and it is even more delicious.
To begin, I coarsely grind some of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds then I mix the ground cereal with some coconut oil, egg whites and a pinch of salt. I place that tightly packed on the bottom of a round baking pan. You could equally use a pie plate for this.
Then I bake for about 10 minutes. After baking, I let it cool completely.
Then I top it with some nice Greek yogurt.
And I add slices of some of my favorite fruits, mango, strawberry, kiwi and some toasted coconut flakes.
This is divinity in a pizza.
My kids thoroughly enjoyed this and after eating 2 slices each, they begged me to keep the one slice left for their breakfast the next morning. But I couldn't because mama has to dig in.
This is a really simple and elegant breakfast that also tastes great. To make it easier for you in the morning, you could bake the crust the night before then simply add the toppings in the morning and enjoy.
I really like the cereal variety from my friends at Post. Equally check out their Grape Nuts original cereal. So good!
Post has partnered with Nintendo Switch to make your cereal eating life more fun! Enter the Post Nintendo Switch Sweepstakes now and you could win instantly win 1 of 500 Nintendo Switch Prize Packs. Click here to enter.
Also, for more inspiration on meals to make with cereal, check out the #CerealAnytime Pinterest page.
Some Notes and Tips
- The egg whites serve as a binder in this recipe so they keep the crust from falling apart when baked.
- A pinch of salt in the crust goes a long way to make it taste better.
- The cereal should be coarsely ground and NOT ground to a fine powder. To achieve this, pulse in a blender for 5 seconds at a time 2-3 times or place cereal in a ziploc bag, close it then crush with a rolling pin.
- The Greek yogurt I used is vanilla Greek yogurt because I felt like the plain one will be too bland.
- Toasting the coconut flakes enhances the nutty flavor. It also makes the coconut crunchier.
- To toast the coconut flakes, place then on a skillet on medium heat and keep stirring until brown. It takes about 5 minutes.
Breakfast Pizza With Cereal Crust
- 4 cups Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds cereal
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strawberries - sliced
- ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes (see Note 3)
- ¾ cup sliced mango from about half a mango
- 2 kiwis - peeled and sliced
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Rub a 9-inch baking pan or pie plate with coconut oil. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place cereal in a blender and pulse for about 5 seconds at a time, 2-3 times until coarsely ground. Alternately, place cereal in a ziploc bag then cover and crush with a rolling pin.
- Place ground crushed cereal in a bowl, add in coconut oil, egg whites and salt. Mix well.
- Place the cereal mixture in the prepared pan and spread evenly then press down tightly.
- Bake the cereal crust in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Take it out and let it cool completely.
- Spread the Greek yogurt over the cooled cereal crust then arrange fruits on top.
- Cut into wedges and serve!