Garlic Butter Chicken Pasta
Published Jan 25, 2024
Updated Feb 19, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Garlic Butter Chicken Pasta is an easy dish that involves pasta tossed in an insanely good garlic butter sauce served with seared juicy chicken breasts. This recipe only takes 20 minutes to make and it’s perfect for weeknights or special occasions like date nights or Mother’s Day.
For a garlicky, buttery, pasta dish cooked to the right texture, make this Garlic Butter Chicken Pasta. The pasta and chicken are both loaded with flavor! Serve it alongside some Sauteed Vegetables or Lettuce Salad.
Table of Contents
Butter Garlic Pasta With Chicken
One of the easiest and most flavorful ways to make pasta is to cook the pasta, drain it, and toss it in a garlic and butter sauce. Add some Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts or Pan Seared Chicken Tenders for some good protein. It is simple but mind-blowing delicious, and it just works!
This recipe pleases both the young and old. I was thrilled to see my dad clear his plate when I served him this. And my kids absolutely loved it too! My hubby asked for seconds (and he’s not even a pasta lover!).
So if you would love a family-friendly pasta recipe that you can make over and over again, save this Butter Garlic Pasta With Chicken recipe and come back to it again and again!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Say goodbye to boring lackluster pasta! This Garlic Butter Chicken Pasta is the recipe you need when you want to satisfy your taste palette with pasta cooked just right and loaded with flavor. You’ll love this recipe for several reasons including:
- Its ease: Life is hard enough, cooking time doesn’t have to be. This recipe is easy and it can be executed in less than 30 minutes.
- Its flavor profile: Garlic lightly toasted in butter, some salt and freshly cracked black pepper, good quality parmesan cheese and more take the flavor profile of this pasta to the next nevel. It is not bland one bit!
- Its adaptability: This recipe can be adapted to suit your needs. Use any pasta you like or have on hand, add other kinds of seasoning you like, and it can even be made low carb by swapping the pasta for zucchini noodles!
Simple ingredients, extraordinary dish. Here is everything you need for garlic butter chicken pasta:
- Chicken: I used thin sliced or butterflied chicken breasts but you could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Pasta: Spaghetti, Linguine, or any pasta you have on hand would work. Whip out that fancy pasta and use it!
- Butter: Please use good quality butter if you can. That really makes a difference in the taste of the finished dish. I love using Kerrygold butter in meals like this where butter is a main ingredient.
See the recipe card below with a detailed list of ingredients and instructions.
How To Make Garlic Butter Chicken Pasta
Here is how to make garlic butter chicken pasta in 4 easy steps!
- Boil pasta to be al dente and strain.
2. Season chicken and pan sear.
3. Saute garlic and other aromatics in melted butter.
4. Add pasta, pasta water as needed, parmesan cheese, and toss.
To cook the pasta to be al dente, cook it for less than one minute than the cooking time recommended on the package. Then taste the pasta. It should be cooked but have a firm bite to it.
Here are ways you can vary this Garlic Butter Chicken Pasta:
- Different protein: Consider using Pan Grilled Salmon or Pan Seared Shrimp instead of chicken.
- Make it creamy: Add heavy cream to the garlic butter sauce and let it simmer before adding the pasta to make creamy garlic butter chicken pasta.
- Different seasoning: Consider adding seasoning blends like Italian seasoning or Cajun seasoning. Or add herbs like oregano and basil.
Expert Tips For Garlic Butter Pasta
- Cook the pasta in salted water in a large pot. A large pot gives the pasta enough room to cook.
- Be sure to reserve a cup of pasta water before draining the pasta. The pasta water helps to deglaze the pan when when making the garlic butter sauce. It also adds just enough moisture to prevent the finished dish from being dry.
- When sauteeing the garlic in the butter be careful not to burn the garlic. Saute the garlic on medium to medium low heat and keep an eye on it.
- Use a tong to easilyy coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Be sure to taste as you cook to ensure the best flavor. Don’t just assume the pasta tastes good, taste it then adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Follow the recipe below to the letter first then you can subsequently make changes if you will. But first master the recipe first as a base.
You can use garlic powder in place of fresh garlic. Use less garlic powder as it has a more concentrated flavor.
It is not necessary to rinse pasta after cooking. Just strain and the pasta is ready for use.
Pasta pairs well with many dishes including salads, sauteed or steamed vegetables, bread rolls, and and various kinds of protein like chicken, fish, or beef.
If you make this recipe please leave a star rating below. Your rating helps others find the recipe plus I love hearing from you! Thank you!
Garlic Butter Chicken Pasta
For The Chicken
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken breasts about 2 medium breasts cut horizontally in half
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
For The Pasta and Garlic Butter Sauce
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup freshly grated parmesan, plus more for serving
- Salt as needed
- Fresh minced parsley for garnish optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente (done but with a firm bite). It takes about 8 minutes to cook to be al dente. Remove one cup of the pasta cooking water and set aside for later use, then use a colander to drain the pasta over a sink.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature for about an hour before cooking. This will promote even cooking.
- Pat dry the thinly sliced chicken breasts with paper towels. Season both sides of the chicken with the salt, black pepper, chicken bouillon, garlic powder, thyme and paprika. Drizzle and rub one tablespoon of the olive oil on both sides of each chicken slice.
- Place a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until it registers an internal temperature of 165℉ on an instant-read meat thermometer.
- Transfer the chicken from the pan to a large plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep it warm.
Garlic Butter Pasta
- Add the butter to the same skillet in which the chicken was cooked on medium heat and let it melt. Add the minced garlic and crushed pepper flakes and stir for 30 seconds. Do not burn the garlic. Add the black pepper and half of the reserved pasta water. Stir well and bring to a light simmer.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and toss well to combine with the garlic butter sauce. Add the shredded parmesan and toss well to ensure that it is evenly distributed in the pasta. Add more water if it needs some thinning out. Also, taste and add salt as needed.
- Slice the chicken and serve over the spaghetti, topped with more shredded parmesan, and garnished with fresh minced parsley if desired.