Lettuce Salad is a must-try and one of my family's favorites! It is loaded with fresh vegetables on a bed of crisp lettuce! And you'll love the easy healthy lemon dressing which ties it all together!
Lettuce Salad Ingredients:
1. Lettuce. I use green leaf lettuce but other kinds of lettuce like romaine or iceberg lettuce would work as well.
2. Cucumbers. Any cucumber will work for this salad. However be sure to peel the cucumber if using garden cucumber as the skin tends to be bitter.
3. Carrots. Carrot adds sweetness and color to the salad.
4. Avocado. Avocado adds creaminess to this salad with lettuce. I large avocado or 2 small avocados will work.
5. Hard-boiled eggs. Hard-boiled eggs add extra protein.
6. Red onion. A little red onion adds a nice zing and some color to the salad.
For the lettuce salad dressing, you only need lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and black pepper. It is a great dressing that will go well with many salads!
How To Cut Lettuce For Salad
1. Cut the end of the core of the lettuce (see picture below).
2. Separate the lettuce leaves and thoroughly rinse them.
3. Dry the lettuce leaves by spinning them in a salad spinner. If you do not have a salad spinner, place on a clean kitchen towel or good quality paper towel to absorb the excess water.
4. Stack a quarter of the dried lettuce leaves on a chopping board.
5. Slice the leaves accross the core.
6. Chop the leaves.
How To Make Lettuce Salad
Arrange chopped lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced cucumber, sliced avocado, sliced hard-boiled egg and sliced red onion on a large platter.
Make the dressing: in a mixing bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together freshly squeezed lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, black pepper and salt.
To serve the salad, use salad tongs to grab and place the vegetables on a plate or in a salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top as desired.
How Many Calories in Lettuce Salad?
Each serving of this Lettuce Salad is 193 calories. This takes into consideration the fact that not all the dressing is used for the salad.
I poured the rest of the dressing into a small bottle, locked it tight and stored in the refrigerator to use on other salads.
Good Salad Recipes With Lettuce
Here are some good salad recipes with lettuce you might love!
Lettuce Salad with fresh crisp vegetables and a light lemon vinaigrette. The perfect healthy salad for the whole family, for potlucks, summer parties and entertaining. Serve with some grilled fish or chicken on the side and you have the perfect healthy dinner!
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, rinsed, spun dry and chopped Romaine or iceberg lettuce would work as well
- 1 garden cucumber - peeled and sliced Any other cucumber would work
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced or 2 medium avocados
- 2 medium carrots, washed and shredded
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed from 1 medium lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- ½ teaspoon salt
Hard-boil, peel and slice eggs. Place 2 eggs in a sauce pan. Completely cover with water. Place on high heat and bring to a boil. Let them boil for 10 minutes. Remove eggs from sauce pan with a slotted spoon. Place in a bowl filled with ice and cool water and let them sit in the water for 5 minutes.
Remove the eggs and wipe with a kitchen cloth. Peel the eggs and slice them into quarters.
Rinse, spin and chop the lettuce. Cut off the core of the lettuce (the white part at the end) then discard. Carefully separate the lettuce leaves then thoroughly rinse them. Place in a salad spinner and spin until dry. (If you do not have a salad spinner, dry the leaves with a clean kitchen towel or good quality paper towel.)
Stack a quarter of the lettuce leaves on a chopping board. Slice in the middle across the core then chop the leaves. (Please see step by step photos in the post to see what I mean.
Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter.
Arrange the salad. Arrange the other vegetables over the lettuce leaves: the cucumber, avocado, carrots, and red onions. Also add the hard-boiled eggs.
Cover the salad with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to serve!
Make the dressing: Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small mixing bowl or a liquid measuring cup. Whisk well to combine. The dressing will thicken up.
Serve. Use a salad serving tong to place some of the salad unto a plate. Be sure to get all the vegetables and some slices of egg. Drizzle the dressing over the salad as desired. Toss to combine and enjoy!
1. I used green lettuce but other kinds of lettuce like romaine or iceberg lettuce would work too.
3. Nutritional information is an estimate and takes into consideration the fact that not all the dressing is used in the salad.
4. You could replace the carrots with tomatoes or bell peppers.
This post contains affiliate links.