Kachumbari is Kenyan onion and tomato salad. It is a very simple salad which you can whip up in no time with simple ingredients. Serve with Pilau (East African one-pot rice dish) for an awesome dining experience.
Kachumbari is mainly made with tomatoes and onion. But I added cucumber and avocado to my Kachumbari because they go so well with the onion and tomatoes. I suggest you do same! This salad is fresh, crunchy, refreshing and so light.
It's a very simple salad just like my simple avocado salad or my Cucumber Mango Salad or my Avocado Cucumber Salad. Can you see that I have a thing for simple salads! Such a few easy vegetables and you yum away!
That's a great way to get vegetables into your system. Don't make it complicated. So easy tomato onion salad for the win! For the dressing I drizzled on some good quality extra virgin olive oil, then I added some freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt to taste and black pepper.
Don't you just love seeing bits of black pepper on a salad?? I love it because that to me means FLAVOR.
The key thing to note when making Kachumbari is let the chopped onion soak in salted water for about 15 minutes before you add it to the salad. This salad is heavy on the onion side and a lot of onions means mouth odor after you eat and nobody wants that.
So make sure you soak the chopped onion in salted water then you drain and add to the other vegetables.
You'll want to add this salad to your list of salads. It light, fresh, so easy and most importantly, yummy! It is a great colorful side dish!
- 2 large tomatoes
- Half of a large red onion 1 cup chopped
- Half a small avocado chopped
- Half a medium cucumber chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice - from about half a lemon
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs cilantro (coriander) chopped
- Soak the chopped onion. Place 1 cup of water and half a teaspoon of salt then put in the chopped onion and let it soak for 15 minutes. Drain the onions.
- Chop the tomatoes. Cut the tomato in half then remove the core and set aside. Go ahead and chop the tomatoes into desired shapes.
- Place the onions, tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado into a bowl.
- Mix together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and ground black pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve with Pilau.