STEWED CABBAGE AND IRISH POTATOES
Published Nov 22, 2016
Updated Sep 26, 2018
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Stewed cabbage + Irish potatoes = match made in heaven. This is a pretty simple equation and a pretty true one. Cabbage is one of those things that I hardly cook. I mostly use it in salads. But when I cook it, I love to stew it with lots of added vegetables. It makes such a fresh meal! Pairing the stewed cabbage with some Irish potatoes is a thing I learned from my aunt in Cameroon.
Aunty will boil the potatoes then deep fry in oil to give it a nice crunch on the back and an overall improved texture. I chose to rather brush the boiled potatoes with some vegetable oil and bake in the oven instead of frying. Because fit fam has been calling my name since 1962.
The stewed cabbage requires pretty simple ingredients. Cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers. I also add some green beans and green onions to it if I have them on hand. You don’t need anything in a can here. I had only a few fresh tomatoes left so I added a can of diced tomatoes to substitute. Don’t be like me. Use fresh tomatoes only.
All of the ingredients come together to make a nice savoury pot of stewed veggies with cabbage as the hero. Cabbage for president!
It’s basically a vegetable party in the mouth. Talk about eating veggies without feeling punished!
This recipe makes an excellent balanced meal if you add some fish or chicken to it. You could make some grilled fish or some roast chicken to accompany it. Enjoy!
Stewed Cabbage and Irish Potatoes
For the cabbage
- 1 medium cabbage - chopped
- 8 tomatoes - chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 small Maggi/Knorr cubes (seasoning)
- 1 large carrot - chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves- chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 hot pepper (habanero or scotch bonnet) optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the potatoes
- 20 small Irish potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the cabbage
- In a pot, bring 8 cups of water together with half a teaspoon of salt to a boil. When it boils, turn off the heat then put the chopped cabbage into the boiled water. Cover and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then drain the cabbage using a colander. Rinse with cold water, squeeze and set aside.
- In a pot, heat up vegetable oil. Add in the chopped onion to saute for two minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and allow to cook with the onions and oil until it shrinks and no longer tastes too sour. You should be stirring from time to time.
- Add in garlic and stir well. Allow to simmer for two minutes.
- Add in salt and Maggi (seasoning) and give everything a good mix.
- Finally add the cabbage, carrot and bell pepper. Mix well until everything is well incorporated. Allow to cook together for five minutes then turn off the heat.
For the potatoes
- Peel potatoes, wash and boil in salted water until tender.
- Drain potatoes and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush the potatoes with vegetable oil and bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees F for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve together with the cabbage.
If you make this, please tag me in a photo on Instagram @preciouscore. I’ll love to see!