Yogurt Cake with a light and airy sponge, amazing flavor and just the right amount of sweetness. You only need a few basic ingredients for this easy yogurt cake! Check out the yogurt cake video below!
This is my kind of cake! Cake that doesn’t need frosting because it is self-sufficient. Say hello to my Yogurt Cake 2.0!
A yogurt cake should taste like yogurt, shouldn’t it? This cake has a rich yogurt flavour. It is the cake to make and have for breakfast because why not?
This yogurt cake goes great with tea or coffee. It is also the cake to make for potlucks, parties or just for snacking!
Yogurt Cake Ingredients
You need the following ingredients for yogurt cake:
1. Yogurt. Use plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt. You could also use flavored yogurt but since flavored yogurt has added sugar, reduce the amount of sugar you add to your cake if you choose to use a flavored yogurt.
For the best flavor, use yogurt with live and active cultures. Check the label on the yogurt container to ensure that it contains live and active cultures.
2. Oil. Adding oil to the batter makes yogurt cake nicely moist.
3. Sugar. Just good old plain granulated sugar.
4. Flour. All purpose flour or plain flour works here.
5. Baking Powder
6. Salt. Salt helps balance the sweetness in yogurt cake.
7. Flavor. For flavor use a combination of vanilla extract and freshly grated nutmeg or use the zest (rind) of one lemon, lime or orange.
Yogurt cake can also be made without flavor and it will still taste great!
How To Make Yogurt Cake
1. Whisk together yogurt, oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
2. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg (optional) and beat to combine.
3. Add in eggs one at a time and mix to form a batter.
4. Pour the batter into a greased pan and bake.
This lovely cake has a nice crumb on the outside, it is moist on the inside and simply dreamy.
Have you heard the saying, “it sold like hot cake”? Once upon a time, I used to wonder what that meant. But now that I am older and wiser, I totally understand. Hot cake is bomb.com.
My family is obsessed with this yogurt cake and I really hope you try it. It is one of my favorite cakes ever!
Tools For Making Yogurt Cake
Watch How To Make Yogurt Cake
More Easy Cake Recipes You Will Love!
P.S. I have updated this yogurt cake recipe after posting it years ago. I made a mistake while typing the former recipe so the recipe that lived here before would give you a dense cake. I am sorry if you tried it and your cake turned out dense. That’t not the way it should be! Thankfully I decided to try out the recipe again and noticed there was a mistake. I had to go back to recipe testing. After testing and tweaking, I think I finally have the best yogurt cake recipe for you!
This yogurt cake is moist with a lovely crumb on the outside. Simply the best yogurt cake!
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (250 grams) or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup oil (125 ml) any neutral tasting oil. I used canola.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour (180 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg See Notes
- 3 large eggs
Grease a 9-inch cake pan or loaf pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup of plain yogurt, 1/2 cup of oil, 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
You could use a handheld whisk or an electric beater.
Add in one and a half cups of flour, one and a half teaspoons of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Beat together until just combined.
Add 3 eggs one at a time, whisking every time you add an egg to incorporate it into the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Let the cake cool then remove from pan, slice and serve.
1. I love adding freshly grated nutmeg to baked goods because it adds amazing flavor! I have whole nutmegs in my kitchen and I highly recommend you get some because the flavor is more intense than pre-ground nutmeg.
That said, if you don’t have nutmeg, you could flavor this cake with the zest (rind) of one lemon, one lime or one orange. OR you could totally leave out the additional flavor and your cake will still taste great!
2. For the best yogurt cake make sure the yogurt and eggs are at room temperature.
3. You could use flavored/sweetened yogurt in this recipe. If you do that just make sure you reduce the sugar content so the yogurt cake isn’t too sweet.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you make this recipe, please tag me in a photo on Instagram @preciouscore. I’ll love to see!!!