The best apple cake recipe made with fresh apples. The cake is moist with delicious chunks of apple, fruity and full of flavor and spice. This fresh apple cake recipe is perfect for fall, Thanksgiving or really any time of the year. I love having it with some ice cream on the side or some tea. So comforting!
Add this fresh apple cake recipe to your repertoire of Thanksgiving recipes. So good whether for fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas, breakfast or for when you just want to snack on some delicious cake.
Let me tell you something. I went shopping and I bought just apples for about $20. And I only shopped for about $30 so it was a 'buy buy apple' kind of day.
You guys, I bought 6 honeycrisp apples for over $10. Whaaaa? After checking my receipt and doing the math while I got back home, I almost said aloud, "why are people so wicked?"
As in why would you sell one apple for almost $2?! Next time I am going to the apple orchard for a better bargain (and some apple picking!).
Am I the only one who scrutinises grocery receipts after buying? I mean I get home, take out my receipt and start to check one item after the other and the prices.
Maybe it's the African blood in me but I always feel like the cashier is trying to/going to cheat me. Trust issues. Ha.
Best Apples For Apple Cake
Honeycrisp apples are ideal for a fresh apple cake recipe with chunks of apple because they hold their shape nicely when baked.
Watch How To Make Fresh Apple Cake
This Fresh Apple Cake Recipe is so easy! And you can see how easy that is when you watch me putting it together in the video.
To ensure you never miss any of my cooking videos, be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Ingredients For Apple Cake
The ingredients for apple cake are pretty simple:
- Granulated sugar
- Cinnamon powder
- Vanilla Extract (check out my homemade vanilla extract recipe)
- Lemon zest
How To Make Apple Cake With Fresh Apples
Here are the simple steps involved in making apple cake from scratch!
1. The first thing I normally do is core, peel and chop the apples. Then I sprinkle two tablespoons of flour on top to coat them.
2. I then cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Then I add in the eggs one at a time and beat lightly.
4. Then I add in the right quantity of liquid milk (check the full recipe below for quantity). I mix and add in my spices. Now I have to talk about the combo of vanilla extract, lemon zest and cinnamon in this recipe. It is bombzilla - it gives the cake such a fresh fruity spicy taste.
5. Add some flour, salt and baking powder to the dry ingredients and mix to form a batter.
6. Once the batter is mixed, add in the chopped apples and gently fold in.
7. Now pour that batter into a greased cake pan, being sure to level the batter at the top.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Hint: My apple cake is usually a light brown color when it comes out of the oven. I love it this way because it remains nice and moist. If it stays too long in the oven, it becomes dry - not good.
9. Now sieve some icing sugar over the top of the cake to take it over the top and for a beautiful presentation.
10. Cut yourself a slice...
And enjoy the wonders of lovely chunks of apple in a cake. This right here is a trip to cake heaven.
My girls, Mr. N and I are all in love with this cake. The girls had some for breakfast this morning with some hot cocoa on the side. They totally love this apple cake made with fresh apples.
Success Tips For The Best Apple Cake!
- If you dislike chunks of apples in your cake, shred the apples instead.
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven. Any extra time in the oven will make the cake turn from moist to dry.
- Do not over-beat the eggs.
- Also, do not over-mix the batter. Once the ingredients are incorporated, you are good to go!
- If you have any doubts, watch the apple cake video for clarification.
That's it, folks. A delicious fresh apple cake waiting to be baked by you. Let me know how you like it!
Also, do you ever cook with apples in your life? What are your favorite apple recipes?
More Delicious Treats For Thanksgiving
Other spectacular cake recipes here on the blog:
*This recipe has been updated.
Fresh Apple Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 250g or ¼ kg
- 2-3 apples cored, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from one lemon
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar 150g
- ½ cup butter - softened 113g
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk 240ml
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar for dusting the top
- Oil a 9-inch baking pan and set aside. Then preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour to coat chopped apples and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, beating each time you add an egg.
- Add in milk, vanilla, lemon zest, cinnamon powder and stir to incorporate.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well to form a batter. Don't overmix - stop mixing when all the flour is incorporated.
- Add the chopped apples and gently fold in.
- Pour batter into oiled pan and level the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.