Pumpkin Roll Cake
Published Nov 23, 2016
Updated Oct 02, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Pumpkin Roll Cake is the perfect fall or holiday dessert! The cake is filled with a delicious cream cheese filling and will look stunning on your dinner table! A true showstopping dessert!
In America, around August to December, pumpkins are in fashion. They are everywhere: on doorsteps, in grocery stores, in pies and in… cakes!
I have to confess before now the only thing I ever did with pumpkin in my life is manage to chew the boiled one. Then I moved to the United States and saw pumpkins being used in cooking in both sweet and savory ways.
I joined the pumpkin party and started experimenting. I have made pumpkin bread, pumpkin chocolate chip bread pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes, and this pumpkin roll cake which is absolutely delicious.
The pumpkin flavour in the cake is not overpowering but delicious. It starts off with a thin sponge which is then filled with a cream cheese mixture.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Roll Cake
Here are the ingredients you need:
Flour, pumpkin puree, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and some eggs, which I forgot to photograph at the same time with the other team players. Blame it on “mommy brain”.
How To Make Pumpkin Roll Cake
- The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees C).
- Then line a 9 by 13 inch baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray or if you are old fashioned like me, rub some vegetable oil on the parchment paper.
- Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl.
- Whisk all of the dry ingredients together then keep aside.
- In another bowl, put in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk together until the mixture is thick. I used an electric mixer for this.
- Now add pumpkin puree to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Then you combine the flour mixture with the egg mixture.
- Mix all of that into a batter. Aint she pretty?
- Spread the batter onto the prepared pan, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes until the cake springs back up when touched.
Note: This cake doesn’t take long to be ready. It really doesn’t take long. So please don’t go far from your oven. Check it after about 13 minutes.
- Immediately roll the cake carefully together with the parchment paper and set aside. If you do not use parchment paper you could roll with a clean kitchen towel. Note that if you do not roll it as soon as it is out of the oven, it will get cold fast and will be hard to manipulate into a roll, leading to cracks.
How To Make The Cream Cheese Filling
Add some cream cheese, butter, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl. The butter and cream cheese should be at room temperature so they can be mixed easily.
Mix them all up with an electric beater or a spatula.
Finishing The Pumpkin Roll Cake
- Now unroll the cake and spread the filling all over it.
- Roll it once again and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for up to an hour before serving. Yum yum!
If your roll cake cracks, simply cover up the cracks by dusting powdered sugar over the cake. It will still be a delicious cake with an even more stunning appearance thanks to the powdered sugar on top!
You could also cover up the cracks by piping whipped cream or frosting on the roll cake.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I prevent my Pumpkin Roll Cake from cracking?
To prevent Pumpkin Roll Cake from cracking, roll it up immediately after it comes out of the oven. When the cake is still soft, it is easier to roll up and will most likely roll without cracking.
Why is my Pumpkin Roll spongy?
Roll cakes are meant to be spongy because that way, they can roll up easily. If your pumpkin roll cake is too thick, trying to roll it up might cause several cracks.
Does Pumpkin Roll need to be refrigerated?
Yes. After making Pumpkin Roll, store it in the fridge for at least one hour so the flavors can meld. Also, store Pumpkin Roll Cake in the fridge in the fridge in a tightly covered container for up to 5 days.
Why is my Pumpkin Roll filling runny?
If you add the Pumpkin Roll filling to the cake while the cake is still hot or warm, the filling will start to melt and get runny. Add the filling to the cake while the cake is at room temperature.
More Delicious Fall Recipes
If you make this Pumpkin Roll Cake, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @preciouscore. I’ll love to see it! Also, consider leaving a star rating below.
Pumpkin Roll Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 by 13 inch baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with vegetable oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until thick.
- Add in pumpkin puree and mix to combine.
- Add in flour mixture and mix well.
- Spread the batter into greased pan, making sure the top is leveled.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the top of the cake springs back when touched.
- Immediately roll the cake together with the parchment paper lining the baking pan. Allow on a rack to cool. Make sure you roll the cake immediately it comes out of the oven to prevent cracks.
- Combine ingredients for filling in a bowl and mix together util smooth. The cream cheese and butter should be at room temperature so they are soft enough to mix.
- Carefully unroll the cake and remove the parchment paper.
- Spread the filling evenly on the cake.
- Roll the cake again and keep in the fridge for up to an hour before serving.