PERFECT PLAIN CAKE
Published Dec 12, 2016
Updated Jun 12, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here is the perfect Plain Cake for serving as breakfast, brunch, a snack or dessert. So many people have made this plain cake recipe with great success. It is fool-proof!
This is how my food and nutrition teacher aka home economics madame taught me how to make cake many years ago.
Today, I am going back to basics. Back to where the cake craze began. Back to the perfect plain cake I have baked with or without an oven.
Back in the day, I will pour sand into a large pot and heat it up on a three-stone fireside which is the traditional cooking place in Cameroon. That heated sand in a pot was my DIY oven.
I will then mix my batter and bake my way into stardom. Everyone in our home and including our neighbours will be “campaigning” to eat some.
After feeding them I will wrap the leftovers and hide far away somewhere to serve my dad after his evening meal, to serve guests or to just enjoy!
I love this plain cake, as simple and unadorned as it is. It is what my taste buds knew as cake right from. It is slightly airy, sweet but not overwhelmingly sweet. It is perfect!
This cake pairs well with tea or coffee! It is a great thing to have in your fridge.
Also, my plain cake needs no frosting. But if you are looking for a good cake base recipe for frosting, check out this Vanilla Sponge Cake!
Friends, this post and video were supposed to be published last Saturday but I had a crazy busy week and couldn’t get them in on time. So sorry about the delay.
Watch How To Make A Plain Cake
Plain Cake Ingredients
The ingredients you need for a plain cake are:
- Margarine or Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
How To Make A Plain Cake
There are just 5 simple steps incolved in a makeing a Plain Cake:
1. Cream together margarine or butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add beaten eggs and vanilla extract to the sugar and butter mixture.
3. Add in flour, baking powder and grated nutmeg and mix until all incorporated.
4. Finally add in milk and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan and bake.
Perfect Plain Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose sifted flour (320 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (300 grams)
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 10 tablespoons margarine or butter (141 grams)
- 1 cup liquid milk (250 ml) whole, skim or evaporated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C). Oil a baking pan (8 by 2 inch) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat all eggs in another bowl then add to the sugar and margarine mixture, add in vanilla and beat well.
- Add in half of the flour, the nutmeg and baking powder and mix until well incorporated. Add in the remaining flour and mix well.
- Finally, add in the milk and mix until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Pin this recipe: