Published Jun 12, 2019
Updated May 23, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tender, sweet plantain cake loaded with soft sweet plantains. This plantain cake is moist and delightful. It will quickly become your favorite plantain dessert!
Plantains make up a huge part of my diet so I sometimes end up with plantains that are overripe and can’t be boiled, fried or roasted. Plantains turn from green to yellow when they are ripe. When they are overripe their skin may develop black spots. They could also turn completely black when overripe.
You will be tempted to throw them away but don’t. Instead, use overripe plantains to make Plantain Puff Puff or Plantain Cake.
This recipe for Plantain Cake is really easy.
Easy Plantain Cake Recipe
- First, mash some overripe plantains.
- Add in milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and oil then stir.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Mix everything until combined.
- Add beaten egg and mix until just combined.
- Place into a greased baking pan and bake until done.
Once your plantain bundt cake is done, serve as it is or drizzle a simple glaze on top once it has cooled down then let the glaze to set and serve. You can also serve it with some sour cream or whipped cream and fresh fruit.
This Plantain Cake is perfectly moist and sweet with little bits of tender sweet plantains. My whole family loves this cake.
This is a great plantain dessert or breakfast! We ate some as a dessert and my daughters took a slice each to their dance class as a treat. This morning, we will be having some more for breakfast. It is a large cake so there’s a lot to go around! It is completely versatile too so it serves us for breakfast, dessert or snack time.
I beseech thee, no more throwing away your overripe plantains. Make them into something beautiful. Transform them into plantain cake.
P.S For a gluten-free plantain cake recipe, check out this post.
- Bundt Cake Pan
- 4 overripe plantains
- 3/4 cup oil (175 ml)
- 12 oz evaporated milk (354 ml)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups flour (250g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 1/2 inch bundt pan.
- Peel plantains and place in a large bowl. Mash the plantains into a paste using a fork.
- Add oil, vanilla and, lemon juice milk and mix until just combined.
- In another large bowl whisk together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Beat eggs then add to mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
*This post contains affiliate links.