One Pot Creamy Macaroni and Chicken
Published Dec 10, 2017
Updated Aug 22, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, INC. and The Coca-Cola Company, all opinions are mine alone. #HolidayMealSolutions #CollectiveBias
This is what I do when I need to put food on the table but I do not want to spend hours in the kitchen. I make an easy one-pot meal. Like this one-pot creamy macaroni and chicken. One pot, 10 simple ingredients, 30 minutes and dinner is served. Yep, you read that right.
So why order takeout when you can whip up a cozy one-pot meal at home in no time?
Can you allow me confess? I hate washing dishes! Especially pots. Especially when there is some food stuck on them. Especially when there is more than one pot. Have you ever assumed you finished washing dishes only to notice more dirty pots were in the kitchen? Ugh! So annoying!
So I rejoice when I make a one-pot meal because that means there’s only one pot to wash!
This one-pot creamy macaroni and chicken is totally approved by my kids from the first to the last. “It has my favorite… chicken! It is so creamy!” said the oldest. And they emptied their bowls which made this mama very happy.
To make this easy dinner, I purchased a handful of ingredients from my local Cub Foods. You need some macaroni – I used rotini but you could totally use any macaroni shape of choice. I also used some chicken breasts (I love organic chicken breasts), tomatoes, onions, garlic, oil and of course, salt and pepper. Oh and I used some paprika which is a totally optional ingredient but I love the color it gives to the meal.
For the oil, I used coconut oil because I love coconut. But feel free to use any oil you like.
To make this macaroni and chicken dinner, first boil your pasta according to package instructions. I boiled some water and plunged mine in to boil for only 7 minutes so it can be al dente as Italians say. Drain the pasta through a colander into a bowl so you can catch some of the pasta water. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water for later use in our meal.
Next, cut up the chicken breasts, season with salt, pepper and a little paprika then cook the chicken in the oil. Oh my! That. color!
Next,… haha I almost said nextly. Okay, next add in some onions, garlic and tomatoes to the chicken and cook. Add all ingredients one at a time and give them a couple of minutes to release their flavors.
Then you guys, add in cream. I use only 1 cup of cream in this recipe because I like it less fatty and light. Plus 1 cup is all you need to make it really creamy,
Also add the pasta water then stir and bring that to a bubble. Add in some salt, pepper and paprika (remember,paprika is totally optional but I love it because it gives color to the meal).
Mix well then add in the macaroni.
Stir well to combine.
Let it sizzle for another 2 minutes before you turn off the heat. Now clap for yourself. You just made a complete meal in 30 minutes!
Serve this macaroni and chicken dinner with a side of salad and some Diet Coke®. Please make sure your Diet Coke is well chilled because you know, an ice cold delicious glass of Coke makes meal time more palatable.
Check in the beverage aisle.
Click here to check out more ways to enjoy Coca-Cola™ in this season! #ServeWithACoke because Coca-Cola goes so well with meals.
Move over mac n cheese, mac n chi is here! Seriously this macaroni and chicken (AKA Mac n Chi (named by me!) is a game changer. Let me know what you think when you try it. Enjoy guys!
One Pot Creamy Macaroni and Chicken
- 1 pound macaroni (454 g) I used rotini
- 1 pound chicken breasts - boneless and skinless (half kg) I love using organic chicken breasts!
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 large tomato - chopped substitute with two small tomatoes
- 1 cup cream (240 ml)
- 1 cup pasta water (see Instruction 1)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or any oil you like
- Pepper (white or black)
- 1 tablespoon paprika optional
- Boil pasta according to package instructions. Drain into a bowl so you can get the pasta water. Remove one cup of the pasta water and set aside to use in this recipe.
- Cut chicken breasts into about 1 inch pieces then sprinkle on a pinch of salt, pepper and the paprika. Mix well to ensure that the seasoning coats the chicken.
- Place a pot on high heat and put in coconut oil to heat up for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for about 2 minutes on one side then flip to the other side and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the onions to the chicken and stir. Let it cook in for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir. Let it cook in for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato and stir. Let it cook in for about one minute.
- Add in the cream, pasta water and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and add in the remaining paprika. Mix well.
- Finally add in the boiled pasta and stir to coat with the creamy mixture. Let it sizzle for about 2 minutes with the other ingredients then you turn off the heat. Your one pot creamy macaroni and chicken is ready!
Pin this recipe: