Baked Plantains are a great alternative for when you do not want to fry your plantains but you still want great tasting plantains. They make a great side dish on the dinner table or serve them with your favorite dip as an appetizer. They also go great with omelets for breakfast. The plantain-abilities are endless here, people.
I am such a plantain monster but I'm sure you already know that. Give me plantain-anything and I will eat! I have never met a plantain I didn't like!
I particularly love fried plantains. There is just something about that crunchy exterior, meaty interior and that great plantain taste that is hard to resist. Please give me all the fried plantains!
However, fried plantains give me a situation with my waistline. So sometimes, instead of frying, I bake my plantains so I can use less oil and eat without guilt. This Baked Plantains recipe is a recipe for when you want great tasting plantains without all the calories from frying!
Best Plantains for Baked Plantains
To me, the best plantains for baked plantains are the ones that are ripe (yellow in color) but still firm to the touch. They hold their shape well and have the perfect texture!
However, if you want sweeter plantains, use the ones that are overripe, (that's yellow and soft to the touch).
How To Bake Plantains
1. Peel the plantains. Use a paring knife to cut into the flesh of a plantain from the top to the bottom. Use your hand to lift up the flesh and remove from the plantain.
2. Slice the plantains diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices.
3. Place cut plantains in a bowl then add a teaspoon of oil on top and some salt. Toss to combine.
4. Arrange plantain slices on a single layer on a baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Flip to the other side after the first 10 minutes.
These Baked Plantains are slightly crunchy on the outside, sweet and chewy! Serve them together with meals or enjoy as a snack!
Other Ways to Bake Plantains
1. Cut your plantains into fries and bake to make Healthy Plantain Fries. Get the recipe here.
2. Cut your plantains vertically in half and grill them to make Oven Grilled Plantains. Get the recipe here.
- 2 ripe (yellow) plantains
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel plantains. Use a paring knife to cut into the flesh of a plantain from the top to the bottom. Use your hand to lift up the flesh and remove from the plantain.
- Slice plantains diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Place in a bowl, drizzle the oil on top and sprinkle with salt. Toss to combine.
- Place plantain slices in a single layer on prepared pan. Place in oven and let them bake for 10 minutes. Flip to the other side and let them bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and serve warm.