HOMEMADE PLANTAIN CHIPS
Published Mar 22, 2018
Updated Sep 26, 2018
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Plantain chips are my weakness! You know what? I always plan to make a big batch and keep at home so we can have a nice snack to grab and enjoy. But that plan never works because once I make plantain chips, it disappears fast… into our bellies! Mr. N, the girls and I share the same love for plantain chips. We even fight over it. This thing is so good!
I loved plantain chips back in the day when I will buy some from local vendors. Now, I love running into my kitchen to make some homemade plantain chips. It is easy to make and it makes such a mouth-watering snack!
These plantain chips are so crispy, plantain-y and so addictive! I think the world should be talking about the awesomeness of plantain chips! Plantains are naturally vegan, gluten-free and have a distinct taste. I love enjoying plantains as a side, as a complete meal or as a snack. They are seriously yummy in every way and they are loaded with nutrients!
When I want to indulge, I make plantain chips. They are irresistible!
So, how do you make plantain chips? It is pretty simple. First, you peel the plantains, then you slice them thinly and you deep fry to perfection. Then you enjoy!
I can barely keep my hands off homemade plantain chips. From the time I make it, it feels like I have been trapped. I keep eating and eating and eating… I only rest when it is all finished!
Homemade plantain chips are so addictive!
Tips for Making Homemade Plantain Chips
- Use salt water instead of sprinkling salt directly on the plantains. This ensures that salt gets into every nook and cranny of the plantain.
- Slice the plantains using a mandoline slicer or the slicing side of a box grater. This ensures thin even slices that will cook evenly.
- Also, do not gather the sliced plantains and place into the oil all at once, I have found that doing it that way leads to several plantains sticking together. When that happens, they will turn out soft and not crunchy. So to avoid having soft ships, place your sliced plantains one after the other into the oil. It seems like a lot of work but trust me, it is worth it because by doing so you will get a whole batch of ultra crispy chips!
I made a video to show you guys how to make homemade plantain chips. Watch the video below, print the recipe then go make some!
Watch How to Make Homemade Plantain Chips:
Homemade Plantain Chips
- 3 green plantains (unripe and firm to the touch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- Peel the plantains. Cut off both tips of a plantain then cut a line across the ridges of a plantain then lift the skin from the cut portion and remove the entire skin with your hands.
- Slice the plantains into chips using a mandoline slicer, the slicing side of a box grater or just cut thinly with a knife.
- In a small bowl, mix a quarter cup of water and the salt. Set aside.
- Place oil in a deep pan up to 4 inches high. Heat the oil on high for about 10 minutes (the oil should be 350 degrees Fahrenheit hot). Turn down the heat to medium then add two tablespoons of the salt water. Add the plantains one after the other. (I added half of the plantains at this point.) Gently stir the plantains and let them fry in the oil while you stir from time to time for about 5 minutes. After that, remove the chips and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Once the chips are cold, enjoy! You can store plantain chips in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
Pin this recipe:
Writing down your vision is one of the most practical steps you can take. Write it down, read it everyday and let that vision continually inspire you.