Easy Roasted Potatoes: crispy edges, well seasoned and pair well with a wide variety of dishes from eggs to meats and fish. Perfect for everyday or holiday dinner!
Sometimes easy things are the best! Like these easy roasted potatoes. Potatoes, salt and light seasoning all marry in the oven for an easy side dish.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It is easy. One of the easiest side dishes I make is roasted potatoes.
- So versatile. Roasted potatoes are so versatile whether for breakfast with some scrambled eggs and crispy bacon or for dinner with some roast chicken and sauteed vegetables.
- Little hands-on time. With only 10 minutes of prep time, this is one recipe to definitely have on your weekly meal rotation.
What Makes Good Roasted Potatoes?
1. The kind of potatoes used. Use potatoes with a high starch content like russet potatoes. That way you get roasted potatoes that are perfectly creamy in the middle while remaining crispy on the outside.
2. Salt. Potatoes can taste bland if not properly salted. Salt really helps bring out the flavors.
3. Herbs and Spices. Herbs like parsley or rosemary go well with potatoes. Spices like garlic and ginger transform bland potatoes into something incredibly tasty.
For this Easy Roasted Potatoes recipe, you could also add a little green seasoning to a few shakes of dried herbs and spices.
You guys already know I am an advocate for keeping a decent stash of dried herbs and spices. They make life in the kitchen so much easier!
How To Make Easy Roasted Potatoes
You can make easy roasted potatoes in 4 easy steps.
1. Peel potatoes.
2. Chop potatoes.
3. Season potatoes.
4. Roast potatoes in the oven.
Substitutions and Variations
Potatoes: I made this recipe using Russet potatoes but you could also substitute with other kinds of potatoes like red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, baby potatoes, or any potatoes you have on hand.
Fat: Substitute olive oil with melted butter as the fat used on the potatoes for buttery roasted potatoes. Butter will also help the potatoes gain a golden brown color as they roast.
Herbs and Spices: Consider adding other herbs and spices to the potatoes like dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano, onion powder, or paprika.
Seasoning Blends: Consider adding seasoning blends like Italian seasoning, cajun seasoning, all-purpose seasoning, or lemon pepper seasoning to your potatoes.
Spicy: Add red pepper flakes to the potatoes to make them spicy. I you want them even spicier, add cayenne pepper.
Roasted Potatoes and Carrots: Roast the potatoes together with carrots to make roasted potatoes and carrots side dish. If you choose to add carrots, make sure you adjust the seasoning to taste.
Parmesan Cheese: Sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over roasted potatoes as soon as they come out of the oven for cheesy, nutty potatoes. If you choose to add parmesan cheese, reduce the amount of salt used on the potatoes as parmesan cheese is salty.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it necessary to boil potatoes before roasting?
No, boiling potatoes before roasting is not necessary. The oven does a great job of roasting the potatoes to be done.
How do you get crispy roast potatoes?
Make sure you roast the potatoes in a hot oven to get crispy edges. Roasting the potatoes in a 450 degrees Fahrenheit oven will ensure that your potatoes get crispy around the edges. Note that roasted potatoes will lose their crispiness as they cool down so enjoy them while still hot.
Why do you soak potatoes in water before roasting?
You soak potatoes in water before roasting to remove the excess starch from the potatoes so the potatoes can get crispy as they roast. However, soaking potatoes in water is an optional step for easy roasted potatoes.
Why are my roast potatoes not crispy?
If the oven isn't hot enough, your roast potatoes won't be crispy. An oven temperature of 425 degrees to 450 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal for roast potatoes. Don't make you oven hotter than this temperature range to avoid burning your potatoes.
What To Serve With Roasted Potatoes
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- Pan Seared Fish
- Chicken in Creamy White Sauce
- Crispy Chicken Thighs
- Baked Turkey Wings
- Sauteed Peppers
- Lemon Pepper Turkey Wings
- Roasted Turkey Thighs
- Pan Seared Lamb Chops
- Marry Me Chicken
If you make this recipe, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @preciouscore. I love to see your creations! Also, consider leaving a star rating below!
Easy Roasted Potatoes
- 2-3 pounds russet potatoes 5 large potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit ( about 232 degrees Celsius). Line a 13 by 18 inch sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Peel potatoes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-and-a-half-inch-cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ginger powder, dried basil, and dried parsley. Toss well to combine.
- Spread the seasoned potatoes on a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until the potatoes are done. The potatoes are done when they are fork tender.
This post contains affiliate links.