The best flavor-packed Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe you will ever make! Great for an easy dinner as you only need 10 mins of prep time.
You guys already know how much I love easy dinners! So baked chicken drumsticks happen quite often in my home.
All you need is 10 minutes of prep time! Then the chicken goes into the oven so the oven can do its work.
While the oven does its work, you can make a side dish to go with the chicken. Make some mashed potatoes, saute some vegetables, make some mac and cheese, make some jollof rice or make whatever side dish you love!
This Baked Chicken Drumstick recipe is one that you should have on repeat in your home.
The chicken is garlicky, slightly herby, juicy, so tasty and can be paired with so many sides!
Also chicken drumsticks are quite cheap. I love to stock up on them because they make a really easy and tasty dinner!
What Can You Season Chicken With?
Dried spices and herbs are great for seasoning chicken. They impart great flavor and are easy to use since you do not have to prep them first.
For this Baked Chicken Drumsticks recipe, I seasoned the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, dried basil, red pepper flakes, chicken bouillon powder, salt and pepper. I also added a little oil because the oil adds more flavor and keeps the chicken moist.
Chicken bouillon powder takes the flavor of chicken up a notch so I always use some when seasoning chicken.
Now considering the times we live in, you do not have to use my exact seasoning blend. Use the spices and herbs you have on hand.
Some herbs that go well with chicken are parsley, rosemary and thyme. So feel free to throw them in if you have them.
Other options for seasoning chicken are wet marinades. Two of my favorite wet marinades are:
- Green seasoning: This blend of fresh herbs and spices makes any meat or fish taste so good!
- Jerk marinade: This Jamaican jerk marinade is loaded with flavor and goes so well with chicken.
How Long Does it Take for Drumsticks to Cook in the Oven?
Chicken drumsticks cook in the oven for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
If you have a meat thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of the chicken, while avoiding touching the bone. It should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit for the chicken to be considered done.
If you do not have a meat thermometer, no worries. Just ensure that you cook your drumsticks in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for up to 45 minutes and it will be well done.
Tips for the Best Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- For the best flavor, let the chicken drumsticks marinate in the herbs and spices covered for 2-8 hours in the fridge before you bake them.
- Line your baking sheet with foil paper and brush the foil paper with oil before placing the chicken on it. That way, you can remove the foil and discard when done and you can easily clean up the baking sheet.
- Adding oil to the marinade adds flavor and keeps the chicken juicy.
- If want the skin of the chicken drumsticks crispier, place them under the broiler for about 2 minutes after they are done. Watch them carefully so they do not burn.
Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- 18 chicken drumsticks 4-5 pounds
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil canola, vegetable, corn or peanut oil would work
- More oil for brushing baking pan about 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Line a large baking sheet with aluminium foil. Brush oil over the aluminium foil. (This will prevent the chicken from sticking to the foil.)
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large mixing bowl. To the bowl of chicken drumsticks, add the garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder, chicken bouillon powder, dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt and oil.
- Mix well so the ingredients get all over the chicken. Place on the large baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-50 minutes until the chicken is golden on the outside and cooked through. If you have a meat thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of a drumstick not touching the bone. The thermometer should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit for the chicken to be considered done.
- Remove chicken from oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with any side dish of choice.