Elevate your chicken drumsticks by making them with this creamy sauce. Chicken Drumsticks in Creamy Sauce is ready in 30 minutes and goes with rice, pasta, and vegetables. Dinner time just got better!
There's just something elegant about tasty chicken simmered in a creamy sauce. It tastes like something you'd get from a 5-star restaurant.
Don't tell anyone you made these Chicken Drumsticks in just about 30 minutes! Is this the winning chicken dinner or is this the winning chicken dinner?
The Chief of the Tasting Committee (CTO) AKA Mr. N AKA my husband heavily approves of this chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce. His favorite way to eat it is with rice.
Ingredients For Chicken In Creamy Sauce
- Chicken: I used drumsticks but feel free to use any chicken you have on hand. You need 2 pounds of chicken for this recipe.
- Mushrooms: Any fresh mushrooms you have would work.
- Garlic: For flavor.
- Onion Powder or Granules: For a quicker dish in which you do not have to chop onions but feel free to chop and saute one large onion instead. Saute the onions then add the mushrooms to them and saute if you choose to use fresh onions.
- Fresh Herbs: Thyme and rosemary go so well with chicken so I add them to elevate the taste. Feel free to substitute with tiny amounts (a quarter teaspoon each) of dried thyme and rosemary. These herbs can be overpowering so you definitely don't want to over do it.
- Chicken Stock or Broth: Regular or low sodium will work here. If you use regular stock or broth be very careful with the amount of salt added as this dish can get salty really quickly.
- Chicken Bouillon Powder: I add a small amount to the chicken drumsticks before pan-searing them but you could totally leave it out if you don't have it on hand.
- Heavy Cream: For creaminess.
- Add any vegetables you like to this dish. Carrots, celery, zuchini, bello peppers are all good additions. It is a great way to clean out the fridge.
- You could use other parts of chicken like thighs, breasts, in this recipe.
Chicken Drumsticks in Creamy Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks 6 drumsticks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granules
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the half teaspoon of salt, ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder over the chicken. Toss well to combine.
- Place 12 inch cast iron skillet or any wide bottom pot on medium heat. Heat the oil then add the chicken to the pan. Let it cook for 4 minutes until golden brown then turn to the other side and let it cook for another 4 minutes until golden brown. Keep turning the chicken around after one side browns to ensure all the sides are cooked. Remove chickien from the pan.
- Add the two tablespoons of unsalted butter to the pan and let the butter melt. Add the mushrooms and let them saute for about two minutes until they shrink.
- Add the minced or grated garlic and let it saute until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken stock, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes, and the browned chicken. Bring everything to a simmer. Let it cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.To ensure the chicken is well cooked I insert a digital thermometer into the thickest part of a drumstick. If it reads 165°F then the chicken is well cooked.
- Add the heavy cream to the pan and gently stir to ensure it mixes with the rest of the sauce. Bring to a simmer. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve. Garnish with parsley if desired and serve over rice, cauliflower rice, pasta or with vegetables or bread.