Lip-smacking good Chicken in White Sauce. My goal was to make a meal you will expect to get at a 5-star restaurant at home and I did just that with this recipe. It is so good!
Here we are with another easy chicken dinner recipe: Chicken in White Sauce! My whole family goes crazy for this meal! When I serve it, in no time, plates are cleared!
The sauce is rich, buttery, milky and complements the chicken so well! The flavor profile is not complicated at all. No long list of spices and herbs. I use just onion, garlic, and some parsley.
This simple combination brings awesome flavor to this dish. It is quite similar to Chicken Fricassee but it is so much easier, requiring fewer ingredients.
You will be going for seconds when you try this! The sauce is so rich so it is definitely not an everyday meal for me but it is a great meal fit only for kings and queens.
With a baby on the way, I am leaning more towards making dinner recipes that don’t take a ton of time. This Chicken in White Sauce fits right in. It is ready in no time and super tasty! Another winner winner chicken dinner just like this Chicken Yassa!
How to Make Chicken in White Sauce
1. Place some chicken in a pot and let it cook in its own fat on one side then flip to the other side and let it cook until done.
2. Add butter to the pot then saute some onion and garlic.
3. Add flour to pot and stir then add water and seasoning. Add chicken back to the pot and let it simmer.
4. Add heavy cream to pot. Adjust seasoning and let everything simmer.
What to Eat With Chicken in White Sauce
You can enjoy this Chicken in White Sauce with the following:
- boiled rice
- boiled pasta
- potatoes – whether boiled or mashed
- any side you enjoy!
More Insanely Delicious Chicken Recipes
- ONE POT CREAMY MACARONI AND CHICKEN
- EPIC OVEN GRILLED CHICKEN WINGS
- THE BEST GRILLED CHICKEN TENDERS
Luscious chicken in white sauce. It is creamy, garlicky, buttery and so good! A meal fit for kings yet so easy to make It cooks in 30 minutes!
- 2-3 pounds chicken thighs 5-6 chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 sprigs parsley - chopped
Season chicken with half a teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of white or black pepper.
Place a pot on medium-high heat. Place chicken in the pot (no need to add any oil before placing the chicken - the fat from the chicken will be sufficient) and let it cook on one side for about 7 minutes. Flip to the other side and let it cook for another 5 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove chicken from pot.
To the same pot, place in the butter and let it melt. Add the onion and garlic and saute until fragrant for about 2 minutes.
Add the flour and stir. Let the flour cook in the butter for 1 minute while stirring continuously.
Slowly add 2 cups of water into the pot and stir.
Add the chicken bouillon powder, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of white (or black) pepper and stir.
Add back the chicken to the pot. Make sure the chicken is completely immersed in the liquid or spoon some of the liquid on top to cover it. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, open and stir.
Add the cream then let it simmer for another 3 minutes. Taste to ensure seasoning is perfect. I like a little more white pepper so I add some more at this point.
Add chopped parsley and stir then turn off the heat.
Serve with boiled rice or pasta. Garnish with more parsley if desired.
1. You could substitute the chicken bouillon powder with 2 4g stock cubes.
2. If you love your sauce with some heat, you could add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
3. For those living in Africa: note that I used soft chicken in this recipe. The chicken cooks easily by just placing it directly on the pot. If you are using hard chicken, I advise you boil it first together with the salt, black/white pepper and stock cubes (see Note 1). Then use the stock from boiling the chicken instead of water in the recipe. Hope this is clear. If not, you can leave a comment below with your question if you have doubts.
4. You could add mushrooms to this Chicken in White Sauce. If you choose to add mushrooms, season with salt and black or white pepper then saute them right after cooking the chicken. Remove from the pot and add back when adding back the chicken.
Pin this recipe: