Egg Muffin Cups With Potato And Sausage
Published Sep 21, 2018
Updated Jan 23, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Think of these Egg Muffin Cups as mini-frittatas. They are made with minimal ingredients, and filled with great flavor and texture from the creamy potatoes and meaty sausage.
They make a great make-ahead breakfast too! My kids love them, which makes me so happy!
Table of Contents
Egg Muffin Cups Recipe
I feel like calling this the frittata of all frittatas but I won’t because I love my breakfast frittata and this plantain frittata. I also really love a good potato frittata. I have shared a potato frittata on my Facebook page before and now it’s on the blog.
These Egg Muffin Cups are basically mini-frittatas. I wanted to make an egg recipe that was so simple. You mix simple ingredients and pop them in the oven for a quick meal. And these are truly simple!
These are great for breakfast, brunch or snack time! For parents, make a huge batch of these and keep them in the fridge then reheat and give your kids for breakfast on busy mornings. It is a back-to-school hack you will be thankful for!
This recipe can be adapted to suit various diets including a low-carb or vegetarian diet.
The main ingredients for egg muffin cups include eggs, potatoes, sausage, onion, and seasoning.
- Eggs: We love using good quality large organic eggs.
- Potatoes: Boiled and diced russet potatoes work well. You could also use diced baked potatoes.
- Sausage: I used chicken sausage but feel free to use any sausage you have on hand.
- Diced onion: Adds flavor and texture. You can swap it out for onion powder.
- Seasoning: Salt and freshly cracked black pepper make really tasty simple egg muffins. You could also add other kinds of seasoning you like. See some suggestions below.
That’s really all you need to make simple egg muffins. But don’t confuse plain and simple for dumb and boring. These are not boring one bit!
The soft creamy potatoes and the meaty chicken sausage with the eggs is a combo that works wonders for the taste palate. Also, the onion gives them a nice kick, balancing out the flavors beautifully!
See the recipe card below with a detailed list of ingredients and instructions.
You can customize these breakfast muffins by varying the ingredients you add in.
- Meats: You can swap sausage for bacon or shredded chicken.
- Seasoning: You can add different kinds of seasoning like onion powder, garlic powder, or smoked paprika.
- Cheese: You could also add in some shredded cheese because cheese! Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, feta cheese or goat cheese all work well here.
- Vegetables: You could load them with veggies like spinach, mushrooms, or peppers. Dice any vegetables from the fridge and add in!
How Long Do Egg Muffin Cups Last?
Egg Muffin Cups will last for up to a week in the fridge. If you freeze them, they could last for up to a month!
How to Freeze Egg Muffins
Let them cool completely then put them in air-tight freezer-safe bags and place in the freezer.
How to Store Egg Muffin Cups
Always keep your egg muffins in the fridge or freezer so they remain fresh.
How to Cook Eggs In Muffin Cups
Making Egg Muffin Cups is quite easy. Follow these 5 simple steps:
- Crack eggs into a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and beat to combine.
- Add some potatoes, sausage and chopped onion to the eggs then mix.
- Place egg mixture into greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 180 degrees Celsius) until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin cup comes out clean.
Spray the muffin tin with oil so the egg muffin cups can easily be released from the pan after they are baked.
- Fill the muffin cup to 3/4 full to allow room for the egg mixture to rise.
- Egg muffins puff up as they bake and deflate as they cool. This is normal.
- For muffins with a spicy kick, add some crushed pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the egg mixture.
Watch How To Make It:
Follow this visual guide to making easy egg muffin cups. Subscribe to my YouTube channel below if you would love to keep up with my videos.
Subscribe to my channelSubscribe
If you make this recipe please leave a star rating below. Your rating helps others find the recipe plus I love hearing from you! Thank you!
Egg Muffin Cups with Potatoes and Sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup diced boiled potatoes russet potatoes work well here
- 1 cup chopped chicken sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 sprigs parsley – chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Brush a 6 cup muffin pan with about half a teaspoon of oil.
- Crack eggs into a bowl then add salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the potatoes, sausage, and onion. Mix everything to combine.
- Distribute the mixture equally among the 6 muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of an egg muffin comes out clean.
For “Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.” (Romans 10:13, NLT)