This ginger drink is easy to make, immunity-boosting and great for detox! It only requires 2 easy ingredients and can be made hot or cold.
Let me introduce you to a drink my mama used to make for me and my siblings when we were little. Ginger drink!
Drum roll and hand clapping, please. Forget the "ginger" in this drink. It is so good that you will forget that it was made with a strong spice - ginger.
This is thanks to the abundance of natural sweetness that covers the multitude of heat in the ginger! All you are left to revel in is a sweet, slightly gingery flavourful drink... which my kids love!
They finished my cuppa while I was doing this photo shoot. And they asked for more. AND they even asked if I could make a special batch for them.
Back in the day, I drank ginger tea because it was so tasty. Today, I drink it because, it is still so tasty but it is also healthy, immunity boosting, great for detox and just makes me feel good.
Ginger Root is Highly Beneficial
The ginger root is extremely beneficial for health. It contains anti-inflammatory properties, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
I could dedicate a whole post talking about ginger. This root-ish thing loves your body and brain! It should be a regular in your home. Your body needs it.
Ingredients for Ginger Drink
To make fresh ginger drink or ginger tea, all you need is some fresh ginger root and a sweetener of choice.
You could sweeten with honey, maple syrup, zero-calorie sweeteners. Or you could just sweeten with regular sugar.
I went with honey because Mr. N bought half a dozen of honey which I am bent on finishing.
How To Make Ginger Drink
1. Peel the skin off about a 1 inch ginger using a paring knife or spoon. (Here is a useful post on how to peel ginger with a spoon.)
2. Cut the peeled ginger into thin slices and put into a pot with two cups (500 ml) of water.
3. Set the pot on high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let it boil for 5 minutes.
4. Strain the drink using a fine mesh strainer or just a regular strainer.
5. Add sweetener of choice to desired sweetness then serve hot.
And that my friends, is all you need to do to have some ginger-y drink for your drinking pleasure.
Double, triple or quadrupule this ginger drink recipe as needed. You could enjoy this hot, warm or cold.
For Cold Ginger Drink: follow all the steps for making ginger drink as stated above. Let the drink cool completely then pour it into a bottle or container with a tight-fitting lid and place in the fridge to chill before drinking.
For Variation in Flavor: boil the ginger with some fresh lemon grass (if you can find it), mint leaves, or squeeze some lemon or lime juice into the ginger drink before drinking.
Can I Store Ginger Drink in the Fridge?
Yes, you can store ginger drink in the fridge but only store the drink in the fridge for 24-48 hours in an airtight container.
Watch How to Make Ginger Drink
I made a video to show you guys just how easy making Ginger Drink is. Watch below and please, SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel if you haven't done so already.
Ginger Drink is a great detox and immunity-boosting drink plus it tastes great and it is easy to make!
- 1 inch ginger peeled and cut into thin slices
- Honey to taste or sweetener of choice
Place ginger and water in a pot and place on high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and let it boil for 5 minutes.
Strain and add honey or sweetener of choice and stir. Serve hot or let it cool completely then place in the fridge to chill before serving.
1. Use more or less ginger depending on how much ginger flavor you want in your tea.
2. This recipe makes 1 serving. Feel free to double, triple, quadrupule or multiply the recipe as needed if you are making ginger drink for several people.
3. I find that organic ginger is best for ginger drink because it is more fragrant so use organic ginger if you can. Health food stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts sell organic ginger.
4. For Cold Ginger Drink: follow all the steps for making ginger drink as stated above. Let th drink cool completely then pour it into a bottle or container with a tight-fitting lid and place in the fridge to chill before drinking.
5. For Variation in Flavor: boil the ginger with some fresh lemon grass (if you can find it), mint leaves, or squeeze some lemon or lime juice into the ginger drink before drinking.
6. Nutritional information is based on the assumption that the ginger drink is sweetened with 2 teaspoons of strained honey.