Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls that are so easy to make, so soft, and fluffy. These dinner rolls are perfect for sandwiches, the holidays or any time of the year. Make sure you eat some warm with some butter! Yum!
Homemade bread is one of the wonders of life and these Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls are no exception! They are so flavorful, soft and I love that these rolls are made with no added sugar!
Since we’ve been staying home more I have been making a lot of homemade bread. One of my favorite versions is this one with whole wheat flour and honey!
We have enjoyed these rolls in various forms from making burgers with them to using them for breakfast sandwiches. Hope you enjoy them too! They are so good!
What Makes Great Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls?
I have found that using only whole wheat flour to make dinner rolls results in rolls that are super dense. So to make great whole wheat dinner rolls, use a blend of whole wheat flour and all-purpose or bread flour.
That way, the rolls are not dense at all. They are super soft and they still have a bit of texture and the nutrients from the whole wheat flour.
Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Ingredients
1. Whole wheat flour
2. Bread flour or all-purpose flour. Use bread flour if you can but all-purpose flour works as well.
3. Oil. For soft rolls.
4. Honey. For sweetness
5. Evaporated milk. For flavor.
6. Eggs. For richness.
6. Active Dry Yeast. To help the rolls rise.
7. Salt. For Flavor.
8. Lukewarm water. To activate the yeast.
How To Make Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
1. Pour lukewarm water into a large bowl. Add in milk and yeast and let it it rest for 5 minutes.
2. To the yeast mixture add in eggs, honey, oil and salt. Mix to combine.
3. Add in whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. Mix to form a dough.
4. Knead the dough until smooth.
5. Shape the dough into 18 equal portions. Roll the portions into balls and place on a baking sheet.
6. Let the rolls rise until doubled in size.
7. Bake until golden brown.
Other Bread Recipes You Might Love
Soft, slightly sweet Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls made with no added sugar! These whole wheat rolls make the perfect to any dinner. They are great for sandwiches too or for simply slathering butter on them and enjoying.
- 12 oz evaporated milk 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups bread flour
Warm milk to be lukewarm. The milk should be only slightly warm to the touch, about 110 degrees Fahrenheit (around 43 degrees Celsius).
Pour the milk into a large mixing bowl. Add in the lukewarm water. Add the active dry yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to activate.
Add in the eggs, oil, honey and salt. Whisk everything with a whisk to combine.
Add in the whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. Use your fingers to mix to form a dough. Transfer the dough to clean surface sprinkled with flour and knead until smooth for about 5 minutes, sprinkle more flour as needed. Don't sprinkle on too much flour. It is okay if the dough is slightly sticky.
Divide the dough into 18 equal parts. Shape each part into a ball and place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Keep the rolls in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour until doubled in size. (To make the rolls rise I usually turn my oven on for 1 minute then turn if OFF and place the rolls in the warm oven. It works every time!)
After the rolls have risen, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake rolls in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
Brush the baked rolls with melted butter if desired.
1. To make honey easily slide out of the measuring cup, first measure the oil first then use the same measuring cup to measure the honey. That way the honey slides out of the cup easily and a good chunk doesn’t stick to the measuring cup.
2. Nutritional info is per bread roll.